Study Leave(SL)

  • Granted to a Railway employee for:
  1. Higher studies or undergoing training in professional and technical subjects having a direct and close connection with the sphere of his duties.
  2. A sudy capable of widening one’s mind in manner likely to improve his abilities as a Railway employee.
  3. Studies connected with the framework or background of public administration.
  4. Advantageous to the Government from the point of view of public interest and related to his duties of Railway employee.
  • Not granted for academic/literary pursuits.
  • Should be liberally granted particularly to scientific, technical and administrative staff.
  • For study outside India, permission of Finance Ministry should be obtained.

Period of leave

  • Max period of 24 months in the entire service of a Railway employee and upto 12 months at a time.
  • Combined with other type of leave with leave salary (LAP/LHAP) excluding extra ordinary leave(ExL) leave can be permitted upto 36 months for a Railway employee doing PhD.  


  • For study in India equal to the pay immediately before the employee proceeds on study leave plus DA plus HRA .
  • Outside India pay plus DA plus HRA and study allowance at the current prescribed rate per day.
  • Any scholarship received has to be adjusted against the leave salary.


  • The employee has to execute a bond specifying that he wont resign / retire for 3 years after the expiry of leavefailing which he will have to refund all the leave salry and other expenses incurred by Railways.
  • Not granted to those with less than 5 years of service and due to retire within 3 years after the expiry of leave. 
  • Study leave by Railway servants who resign / retire / quit service without returning to duty  or  quit service within a period of three years after return to duty /  who fail to complete the course of study and are thus unable to furnish the certificate as required in the Study Leave Rules, shall be converted into regular leave standing at his credit on the date on which the study leave commenced. [2]
  • Any regular leave taken in continuation of study leave being suitably adjusted for the purpose and the balance of the period of study leave, if any, which cannot be so converted, treated as extraordinary leave.
  • The balance of study leave thus converted into extraordinary leave due to deficiency in the leave account shall not be counted as qualifying service for pensionary benefits.
  • Period spent on study leave shall be counted for earning both Leave on Average Pay and also Leave on Half Average Pay from 04/01/2011[1](before 04/01/2011 - not for earning leave other than LHAP).

Service/ Seniority

  • Period will count as service for promotion.

Sanctioning authority

  • Gazetted Officers – Railway Board
  • Non-Gazetted Officers – GM

Ref : 

  1. RBE No. 01/2011 dt 4/1/2011
  2. Railway Board’s letter No. F(E)III/2009/PN-1/10 dated 10.03.2011 (RBE No. 33/2011)




Thu, 05/01/2012 - 10:24

tirumala sai :: I got selected as JE(Tele) for SWR region.Recently I got letter for medical test & document verification from Mysore.They mentioned to bring two character certificates from two Gazitted officers, but they didnot send any proform.So what should be the template of character certificate .

and one more thing the JE(Tele) belongs to which category (group ;c' or group 'd') ?


Mon, 23/04/2012 - 13:50

resp sir,

i have cleared upsc cms 2011 exam,n hav been alloted railways cadre ,call letter awaiting but i think it vil come by d end of dis yr...

now i hav passed my post graduation CET exam in 2012 n hav taken admission in ms obgy for current yr 2012 to 2013 ...course is of 3yrs n den i vil hav to serve for 1 more yr as a Mo or lecturer here in der is 1 yr bond after completion of pg..

n breaking bond vil cost penalty of 50 lac rupees...

m bit confused now coz m willing to do dis job after my pg...

can u throw  some light on how can i  take study leave n abt maharashtra govt bond ?

will dey consider merging this 1 yr bond with central govt i vil b serving to people of this county.????

do reply...

thanx in advance...

Member for

49 years 6 months

s.k.mishra (not verified)

Sun, 30/09/2012 - 21:23

sir.currently i am doing my MD which will coplete after 2yrs, i hav got alloted ADMO post..any procedure

to get leave or extension before joining ....please help i want to save my job also....

livina narendran

Tue, 16/10/2012 - 19:18

sir am in the reversed rank list of CMS 2OII..AM very glad to know that am posted in doing my pg in ent will complete in june 2013...when will i get my posting order?where will i may get posted?any chance to get posting in kerala?...i got a small kid of two years and  my mother is a patient also...can i do my one year bond in railway service...its my ambition to save railways..kindly do reply


sir,i have got a letter to join the training at vadodara for ADMO in railways on dec 10 for 14 weeks...i am not able to join that now,as my post graduation exams on march,it will complete only on june 2013..what are the procedures to get extension of joining time?will i get the extension for the same?thank you...


Sir i have joined in railway service in 15.2.1993. I have recently completed 20 years of service. I was on study leave from 1.7.2008 to 30.6.2011. I   am planning to retire from service. Can i take VRS if return the BOND money ? As per BOND after returning the money the obligation of BOND will be void and no effect. Whether my service will be qualifying for pension. I am yet to complete 3 years period of BOND

Thank you Sir for the reply. But i applied for VR from 1.3.13. I have completed 20 years on 15.2.2013 My study leave period is from 1.7.2008 to 30.6.2011.. Accounts have raised an observation. They have said i have taken 3 years (approx 1000days). According to them 3 years period has to be adjusted with my leave credit at rhe commencement of study. I had 490 days that time. Rest of the period i have to serve. So i will have to work for another 600 days. They have mentioned even on returning the BOND  money, study leave period becomes nonqualifying as it is without pay; and can not be counted for pension IS it so? So it can not be counted as qualifying period. Then what is the necessity of BOND. In BOND it has not been mentioned. I was of the view after refund the BOND becomes VIOD and of no effect and study leave period becomes qualifying period.  Sir  iam confused .

Dear sir
I am selected for the post of ALP after aptitude test in secr and next month I call for DV,but in this days I m doing B.E. From govt. Engg. College and I appear in 6 sem,there is only 1 year 2 month remaining to complete my B.E after that I want to join railway,I want to do both study with job,is it possible?any rule?pls contact me on 09098887957

B Saila Sudhakar

Sat, 17/08/2013 - 14:04


My friend would like to do LL.B through College.

College Starts at morning 8.00 hrs. 

He says that he will attend college daily for one hour and Saturday, he will attend full periods, as holiday.

Whether he will get permission to do the course as there is no correpondence course is available for LLB

Please reply






Sun, 02/03/2014 - 07:27


i am in training of ALP IN training school .. i need five days leave for write the my BE final semester exam ... they're give leave to me or not


Fri, 14/03/2014 - 07:47

i am in ALP TRAINING .. coming
April 1ST we are going for ZONAL
(ZRTI )..
i going to report April 14 th with
private medical doctor seek leave
certificates for 14 days . what
happen sir..

Bhargav Ram

Thu, 23/10/2014 - 10:48

Respected Sir / Madam ,

Can a person selected for Combined Medical Service avail Study Leave for pursuing Post Graduation , during the "Probationary Period" ?

If not , is there a minimum period to serve in railways before requesting for study leave.

Sir/Madam your reply would of immense help for me to plan my future course of action.

Thank you Sir/Madam,


Dr Bhargav Ram.


Vishnu Mylode

Sun, 16/08/2015 - 22:28

I got selected for the post of assistant loco pilot.The training will start in the next month.But currently I'm doing my final year Is there any provision for postpone the training or joining for duty? If not,is it possible to get leave within one year? Or what will be the minimum service to get study leave? Please reply. Thank you.

mradul kumar ojha

Tue, 25/08/2015 - 21:40

respected sir,

I am mradul kumar ojha, got selected for assistant loco piolet (CEN 01/2014) under bilaspur zone (SECR).

My certificate verification was on 12/03/2015 and division is also alloted on june 2015, they allot me nagpur division.

After the division allotment notice they does not update any information about medical test.

so please tell me that how much time it will be taken for medical test and start of traning.

pls reply me.....

Member for

3 years 11 months

sunil sanjva

Thu, 10/09/2015 - 14:24

respected sir / madam
me railway me as a helper service karta hun. mene 27/11/2013 se service join ki hai, aur mene kiya hai aur me charterd accountancy karna chahta hun. to eske liye muje railway ki taraf se leave mil sakti hai? and eski complete process kya rahegi?
please sir give me advice...
this is the question of my life and my career.
thank you.


Fri, 11/09/2015 - 23:17

i want to know can newly recruited TNC is eligible for the TA of training period from hq to trg centre and back for 45 days where he has paid the mess charges in cash &in his letter it is mentioned that eligible for TA as admissible.
pl reply with related circular if any.


Pooja sahu

Sat, 12/09/2015 - 09:00

Sir mere father good guards me h...wo vr lena chahte h..aur apna job mje dena chahte h...kya aisa koi scheme h..k unki place me..ya koi railway job..mje mile??waiting for your response sir..reply

atul Kumar gupta

Sun, 08/11/2015 - 19:55

sir I am a trainee in Tec.gr3rd goc ponmalai tricy , I want doing the p.hd thru ugc net jrcf because I am qualified jrf I want 36 month leave for p.hd without pay. what are doing and what process.I m waiting please inform me

Member for

6 minutes 47 seconds


Fri, 09/08/2019 - 08:43

Can study leave be granted to a scheduled cast candidate who has not served for 5 years?
Who's permission is needed for such study leave if required before completing five years?