- SSE (Permanent Way) is a supervisor in Civil Engineering (Permanent Way) department of Railways.
- SSE will be normally headquartered in major stations normally. He will be the in charge of a section of track (let us say 100-250 km length) stretching over a couple of stations.
- He will be responsible for maintenance, repairs and attending to failures like rail fracture.
- He will have a few JE(Junior Engineers) working under him and large team of workers consisting of trackman, gangman, khalasis, patrolman.
- Permanent way in railway parlance is the structure consisting of the rails, fasteners, sleepers and ballast, plus the underlying subgrade.
- The safe running of trains depends on the level of maintenance of the track and hence the role of a permanent way supervisor is crucial and he is answerable for the delay/omissions in this regard.
- He is supposed to conduct regular inspections, trolley inspections, foot plate inspection(by travelling in engine of running train) over his section.
Career path :
Assistant Divisional Engineer(Gaz.) (AEN) ->
Divisional Engineer(DEN) ->
Senor Divisional Engineer(Sr.DEN) ->
- Degree in Civil Engineering. from a recognized university/institution.
Selection Process : Written Examination and Document Verification.
Salary and other perks
(i) Pay Scale 9300-34800
(ii) Grade Pay 4600
(iii) Initial Pay 12540
(iv) Total Pay (i) + (ii ) 17140
Other Allowances depend on various conditions and hence can’t be stated uniformly. Other major allowances include :
- DA on Total Pay above
- Transport Allowance
- House Rent Allowance(if not provided with quarters)
Deductions from salary include 10% of total Pay towards New Pension scheme.