- All first appointments to a Group A Post in Railway Service shall be made by the President on the recommendation of the Union Public Service Commission from time to time in accordance with the rules framed by him.
Recruitment of Group 'A' Officers are made through:
1. Competitive examination held by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Promotion of officers in Group B.
2. Promotion of Officers from Group 'B' Service.
3. By appointment of candidates initially recruited as Special Class Apprentices by U.P.S.C. for recruitment to Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers.
4. By transfer of an officer in service of the Government.
5. By occasional admission of other qualified persons in consultation with the U.P.S.C.
UPSC recruits probationers for the following 10 organized Railway services:
(a) Civil Services Examination for
- Indian Railway Traffic Service(IRTS)
- Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS)
- Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS)
- Railway Protection Force
(b)Enginnering Services Examination for:
- Indian Railway Service of Engineers (IRSE)
- Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers(IRSME)
- Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers(IRSEE)
- Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers(IRSEE)
- Indian Railway Stores Service (IRSS)
(c)Medical Services Examination for:
- Indian Railway Medical Service(IRMS)
1. Indian Railway Establishment Manual Rules 101-110
2. Indian Railway Establishment Code Rules 201- 206