1. As per the instructions circulated vide letters quoted above, presently the procedure for recruitment of Group D posts on the railways consists of a Physical Efficiency Test [PET] followed by written test of PET qualified candidates.
2. A clarification has been sought by one of the zonal railways regarding the ratio in which the candidates are to be called for document verification after written examination vis-à-vis number of vacancies to be filled up.
3. The issue has been examined and it has now been decided by the Board that the number of candidates called for document verification shall be 20% over & above the number of vacancies.
4. This shall, however, be done with the following proviso:
[i] It has to be brought out clearly in the Call Letter to the candidate that the purpose of calling 20% candidates over and above the number of vacancies at the time of document verification is primarily to avoid shortfall in the panel and that merely calling a candidate for document verification does not, in any way, entitle him/her to an appointment in the railways;
[ii] Even where the number of candidates available after document verification exceeds the number of vacancies, the panel finalized by RRC [Railway Recruitment Cell] shall be equal to number of vacancies only. In case, the Railway administration after giving stipulated joining time to the selected candidates, certifies that certain number of candidates have not turned up within the specified period, another panel equal to the number of candidates finally not turning up for taking appointment will be supplied by RRC. Before calling for replacement in-lieu of the candidates finally not turning up for taking appointment, CPO shall personally satisfy himself that the procedure for cancellation of the offer of appointment to the originally empanelled candidates has been strictly followed. Under no circumstances, the number of candidates covered in the original as well as replacement panels shall exceed the number of the vacancies indented by the railway; and
[iii] Replacement panels shall include only such number of reserved /un-reserved candidates as have not turned up as per original panel.
5. These instructions will be applicable to the selections wherever Call Letters to the candidates for document verification are yet to be issued.
[This disposes of East Central Railway’s letter No. ECR/HRD/RRC/PET/Gr. ’D’ dated 28.3.2008]