Job profile of Senior Permanent Way Supervisor (Sr.PWS)
- Senior Permanent Way supervisor(Sr.PWS) is a supervisor in Civil Engineering (Permanent Way) department of Railways.
- He will work under the supervision of a JE/SSE. He will be responsible for the maintenance of a section of track allotted to him by the section in charge JE/SSE.
- SSE will be his overall in charge and he will have a team of workers consisting of trackman, gangman, khalasis, patrolman.
- The safe running of trains depends on the level of maintenance of the track and hence the role of a permanent way supervisor is crucial and he is answerable for the delay/omissions in this regard.
- He is supposed to conduct regular inspections, trolley inspections, foot plate inspection(by travelling in engine of running train) over his section.
- Permanent way in railway parlance is the structure consisting of the rails, fasteners, sleepers and ballast, plus the underlying subgrade.
- Work of a PWS include supervision of work by his team, giving report of work done to SSE.
- Job is primarily outdoor, less suitable (even though not impossible) for female candidates.
Career path :
Senior Section Engineer->
Assistant Divisional Engineer(Gaz.) (AEN) ->
Divisional Engineer(DEN) ->
Senor Divisional Engineer(Sr.DEN)
- Diploma in Civil Engineering/ Civil Engineering (Transportation). OR
- B.Sc. with Physics & Mathematics or B.Sc. (Honours) in Physics with Mathematics as secondary/ subsidiary subject OR
- B.Sc. (Honours) in Maths with Physics as secondary/subsidiary subject.
Selection Process : Written Examination and Document Verification.
Medical fitness: A3
Salary and other perks
(i) Pay Scale 9300-34800
(ii) Grade Pay 4200
(iii) Initial Pay 9300
(iv) Total Pay (i) + (ii ) 13500
Other Allowances depend on various conditions and hence can’t be stated uniformly. Other major allowances include :
- DA on Total Pay above
- Transport Allowance
- House Rent Allowance(if not provided with quarters)
Deductions from salary include 10% of total Pay towards New Pension scheme.