Skip to Content

Retirement benefits

Printer-friendly version


The following rules regarding pension apply only to those appointed on or before 31.12.2003.

  • Railway Services (Pension) Rules 1993.
  • Railway Services (Pension Commutation) Rules 1993
  • Railway Services (Extraordinary Pension) Rules 1993

Railway Servants who have been appointed or or after 1.1.2004 New Pension Scheme will apply.

Benefits to all staff at Death/Retirement

  • Pension/Family pension.
  • Gratuity.
  • PF at the credit of the employee.
  • VPF deposit money.
  • Amount under Group Insurance Scheme.
  • Encashment of Leave.
  • Travelling Allowance for self and members of family as on transfer.
  • Composite Transfer Grant.
  • Settlement/Kit pass.
  • Incidental charges for loading of kit.
  • Amount under Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme.
  • In case of death/disablement appointment of dependant on compassionate grounds.
  • In case of death, out-of turn allotment of quarters to dependant.
  • Post-Retirement Complimentary Pass.
  • Facilities of Medical Attendance.


  • Pension on Superannuation.
  • Retiring Pension.
  • Invalid Pension.
  • Compensation Pension.

Quantum of Pension

  • Pension on retirement to Permanent/Temporary employees with 10 years of Qualifying Service.
  • 50% of average emoluments during past 10 months or pay last drawn whichever is beneficial to the retiring employee.

Qualifying Service

  • Qualifying Service starts from the date of appointment even on temporary basis if followed by confirmation.
  • Service rendered in State Government followed by absorption in Central government may also count. However following will not count as service:
    (i)   Service before attaining 18 years.
    (ii)  Service as Apprentice.
    (iii) Overstayed Leave/Joining Time not regularised as leave with leave salary.
    (iv) Suspension, if so decided by authority.
    (v)  Dies-non period.
  • Following shall count as Qualifying Service:
    (i)  All duty/leave/deputation period.
    (ii) Extra ordinary leave on medical grounds.
    (iii)Pre-appointment training of Group C & D.
    (iv)Probation followed by confirmation.
    (v)Suspension regularised as leave/duty.
    (vi)Period paid from contingencies followed by regularisation(Only half the service will count).
  • Previous civil service may count in case of those retired on compensation/invalid pension and not others provided they refund all gratuities drawn and surrender pension. Option for this must be given within 3 months of re-employment.
  • Previous military service may count if they opt within 1 year of reappointment to refund all gratuities and surrender pension.

Commutation of Pension

  • Upto 40% of pension can be commuted and get a lumpsum payment.
  • No Medical Certificate is required if applied within one year of retirement.
    Value of commutation = Commutation Value from the table x 12 x Amount of pension commuted.
  • After 15 years of retirement or from date of commuting pension whichever is earlier employee will start getting full pension again.
  • Commutation is based age next birthday determined with respect to: 
    (i)  Date of superannuation when required with PPO (Pension Pay Order ).
    (ii) Date of application if no Medical examination is involved.
    (iii)Date of Medical Examination where necessary.



Post further comments

Post further comments inForums :

Sir, My father Sri. A

Sir, My father Sri. A Natarajan retired from Southern Railways in September 1990. Today, ie on 8th September 2012 he has completed 80 years of age. I just want to know whether the increase in pension of 20% at attaining the age of 80 years will automatically be implemented by the concerned authorities or is there any procedure to be fulfilled by the beneficiary?

He has to get necessary

He has to get necessary remark in PPO from Divisional Pension Officer to get Additional Pension. Bank will not give it automatically.

Sir, Is there any rule of not


Is there any rule of not taking written test for the candidate whose father retired before 2 years in group D category ie such candidate will appear directly for interview in Group D cat

For Group D compassionate

For Group D compassionate appointment in Group D there is no written test. But he has to pass the required medical test.

Sir,i have completed -29

Sir,i have completed -29 years of railway service,due to my personnal problems i have been applied for VRS but it was regected and railways removed me service with compossionate allowance.My question is they have not mention the quantum of allowance, will i get 2/3rd of pensionary benefits and also inform me what are benefits i will get? 

You will bet all pension

You will bet all pension benefits like a normal retirement as you completed 29 years.

when an employees is retired

when an employees is retired for 3 months back and he will expired on 12.08.2012 ,  If he is eligible for any exgratia amount.






Not after  retirement.

Not after  retirement.

dear sir,   My wife is

dear sir,


My wife is working in Southern Railway as booking clerk. She has completed 10 Years of Service

If she want to go on VRS, will she get pension.

Kindly advice




No, minimum 20 years required

No, minimum 20 years required for pension.

sir , I am selected as goods

sir ,
I am selected as goods guard in scr.i wnat to know if we got a better job after join in goods guard i have to pay money to scr .if yes how much money i will pay

Dear Sir, My father is

Dear Sir,

My father is retired railway employees who has commuted the pension at the time of retirment, and he has been receiving the pension regularly from past 20 years.


Now is dead and who will get the commuted pension which has to be restored after 20 years and eligible persons.

Since he is dead his widow

Since he is dead his widow will get Family pension.

What are the rules 4

What are the rules 4 entitlement of pass/pto in DURANTO EXPRESS

only Duty pass is permitted

only Duty pass is permitted in Duranto. Privilage pass/PTO not permitted.

Sir,   I have one  query.  if



I have one  query.  if someone retired from railways and only one unmarried daughter in his family. 

After death of father can his unmarried daughter is eligible for his pension.

Yes. the unmarried daughter

Yes. the unmarried daughter will get the benifit of pension,medical and pass facility after the death of her father ....

No pass facility.

No pass facility.






ACCOUNT NO. 03380100013609



                                                                                                                                  THANK YOU,

                                                                                                                           BHASKARBHAI V. NEVE

Hi Sir,   My father was

Hi Sir,


My father was working as Gangman, and then he has been unfit due to physical illness. Thereafter he was offered a job in divisional office as Peon.

Currently he has been admitted again in rly hospital, he is having 3.6yrs for retirement, also looking for a retirement under LARGESS.

My question here is, should i eligible to apply under LARGESS sheme, Is there any other option to get a job by pointing my father's inability to perform a job.


As he is no lnger in Safety

As he is no lnger in Safety category he will not get benefit under LARGESS. If he is declared unfit for all classes by Railway Doctor he can take VR and you can get the job.

Sir,   I was appointed in



I was appointed in Railways after 2004. How will the retirement benefits be calculated at the time of my superannuation under NPS scheme OR what will be the components of retirement benefits under NPS as per extant rule. Also please let me know the calculation procedure and formula if possible

I have found this article on

I have found this article on some website stating that those who are absorbed in PSU/Bank after 10 years service are now eligible for full pension. Some body wrote an RTO to the DoP&T and got a reply. may like to see:


The Director
Dept. of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
Lok Nayak Bhawan
New Delhi – 110 003

Dear Sir,

Sub: Request for Information under the provisions of RTI Act

At the outset, I would request you, in case you are not presently the Central Public Information Officer, to kindly pass this Request to the concerned officer for furnishing me the following information. The necessary Postal Order for Rs.10/= is enclosed.

1. Whether Central Govt employees getting absorbed in Central Public Sector Undertakings (Central PSUs), with a qualifying service of more than 10 years but less than 20 years, are eligible for Full Pension (and NOT pro-rata pension) as per provisions contained in item No. 5.3 under the category PENSION in OM F. No.38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 2nd September 2008?

2. If answer to the above is yes, will the past pensioners absorbed in Central PSUs before 1.1.2006, who did not avail 100% Commutation in lieu of the earlier pro-rata pension, are also eligible to get their Basic Pension refixed based on the principle under item (1) above in conjunction with the revision of Pension as per guidelines issued vide OM F.No. No.38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 1st September 2008?

The Reply received from DOP & PW:


Please refer to your RTI Application dated 8.5.2010 received by this CPIO on 7.6.2010.

2. Regarding your query No.1, it is confirmed that para 5.3 of OM dated 2.9.08 is applicable, among others, to Central Government employees absorbed in PSUs etc. on or after 1.1.2006.

3. Regarding Query No.2, the provisions of OM dated 2.9.08 are not applicable to those who retired / got absorbed in PSUs etc. before 1.1.2006. Their pension is to be revised w.e.f 1.1.2006 in accordance with OM No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 1.9.08 as clarified from time to time.

4. If you are not satisfied with the above reply, you may submit an appeal to the Appellate Authority. The Appellate Authority is Mrs. Tripti P. Ghosh, Director (PP), Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare.

From the above, it is amply clear that post-1-1-2006 retirees (of all categories including PSU absorbees) having less than 20 years QS (but more than 10 years anyway) are also eligible for Full Pension, which means NO pro-rata Pension any more. However, this benefit is not extended to pre-2006 retiree


Sir,      At present the


     At present the retired railway staff are getting only privilege pass(PRC) in their account.The senior citizen of the rly staffs are facing so many problems in the pass issuing office, as they are served in most respectable posts (Designations) .At present they are aged persons could not wait hours together to get the pass as coolies ,no sufficient seat arrangements in the pass issuing office for the aged persons and some of the issuing staff not co-operating for the aged staff & they are not issuing the pass in the same day to the aged retired staff and ask them to come after one or two days for collecting the pass.So I (In fevered of all retired Rly aged & illness  railway staff) request the board has to consider to arrange to  issue of PRC passes once in a year as card pass with photos.This suggestion is financially economical to railways.

Respected Sir,               

Respected Sir,

                          As my father was an rly employee now retired in 31st august 2000 .He has got parlysis attack on august 2005 now bank people are asking him to come & take pension on monthly basics asit is very difficult to go bank & take pension as he cannot walk so plz is their any other way to take pension plz inform on my id.



Why dont you ask for an ATM

Why dont you ask for an ATM so that somebody else can take the money?



                         I request to issue PTO S for retired employees also. Railway ministry is requested to consider this post retirement privilege.

Sir.                    I


                   I request to issue PTO S for the railway servants who retired after service.However post retirement complimentary passes are given to the retired for person but it is not  useful for short journeys. 

Yes, this is something

Yes, this is something Railway Board should consider. Railway Unions should also raise the matter at the Board level.

sir, my fathers pension card


my fathers pension card has an error on is date of birth instead of 21st its mentioned 20th

this correction is required for obtaining his passport which is a requisite document for goverment employees ,even request to the concerned authority in the central railways is not helping in this regard, is there a process to follow to have tihs error corrected or to obtain a letter of error,


Give a request to DPO  of the

Give a request to DPO  of the division with all the relevant documents.

Dear Sir/Ma\\'am I want a few

Dear Sir/Ma\\'am

I want a few information regarding medical faciliies after retirement.

My father is a retired railway employee from samastipur division, Bihar.After retirement in year 2010, he is living with me in New Delhi. A few days back on 7th April, 2012 he just got a severe brain haemorrhage and in that situation we admitted him in Batra Hospital in Emergency wards. As per the requirement the surgery was done and we bear the cost on our own. So, i want to know the procedure of reimbursement of the expenditure incurred by us in the treatment.

Please suggest me soon so I can proceed accordingly.

Thanks and regards
Manoj kumar jha
New Delhi

Whether your father joined

Whether your father joined RELHS? Even in those cases you need permnission of Railway Doctor. 

hello sir i have doubt that

hello sir i have doubt that in LARGESS scheme accordinly if some qualifies the writen test and PET test he will be given Group C or Group D post or the employment will be given in only in Group D category plese clarify sir

Except wards of loco pilots

Except wards of loco pilots others will be given GP 1800 only.

thanks for your reply  

thanks for your reply


sir my joining date is 9 7

sir my joining date is 9 7 1992.when i will be elligible for full pension benifit.

Dear Sir,              I am

Dear Sir,

             I am an ex- serviceman re-employed  as a technician through RRB Chandigarh.Now I have completed 11 years of regular service . Sir how much of pension benefits Shall  be due to me after completing seventeen years of service before superanuation retirement.

dear sir,                   i

dear sir,

                  i am also selected in railway chandigarh as a technician gr2 and my document verification held on 19-12-2011 after that i recieved a letter on february 21 that your name is recommended to head quarter new delhi badoda house i want to know when will i get joining letter?



Recruitment process of

Recruitment process of railway is too slow. . .i think it will take 2-3 month more. .me too waiting. .nfr zone

50% of average emoluments

50% of average emoluments during past 10 months wiil be the pension.  Minimum service of 33 years for full pension is done away with.

what is the new gross salary

what is the new gross salary for newly appointing section engineer?

 Dear Sir,                  

 Dear Sir,


                        Please tell me the total salary of junior engineer(Electrical) on before and after trainee.

Dear sir I have been selected

Dear sir

I have been selected as JE for RRB chennai. they have mentioned in the notification, the educational qualification as diploma in mechanical. But i dont have diploma instead i have B-tech degree in mechanical engg. please clarify me weither i am eligible for the post. kindly reply me sir.


You are eligible.

You are eligible.

Unless the suspension order

Unless the suspension order is regularised by an order you wont get all the benefits.

Sir Can a suspended employee


Can a suspended employee claim full pay for suspended period if no enquiry has been conducted but revoked after 15 days of suspension if so what is the procedure.

No, enquiry has to be

No, enquiry has to be conducted. If period is regularised you will get pay.

To protect against spam we limit the Comments only for the registerd users. Please register  or loginThank you for your understanding.

Book navigation

Custom Search