Workers Participation in Management of Railways
Workers Participation in Management
Whitely Committee in UK during 1917 has recommended that workers should be given opportunity to participate in the discussion for -
- Promoting productivity for the general benefit of the organisation, employee and community.
- Giving employees a better understanding of their role in the organisation in the process of production.
- Satisfying the workers urge of self expression, to achieve industrial peace, better relationship and cooperation.
In Railways, workers participation is in practice for a long time by associating the representatives of trade unions in different areas like:
- Staff benefit fund committee
- Quarters committee
- Housing committee
- Running room advisory committee
- Canteen management committee
- Hospital visiting committee
- Labour advisory committee
- Executive committees of Railway Institute and clubs
- Workshop productivity councils etc.
In addition in the area of workers participation in management, corporate enterprise groups of management and labour have been formed at Railway Board, Zonal Railway and Divisions, which is now being called as Participation of Railway Employees in management(PREM)
PREM at Railway Board
1. Four representatives each from two Federations.
2. Two representatives of All India Officers Federations.
3. Two representatives of Indian Railway Promotee Officers Association.
4. On official side Chairman, member.
PREM at Zonal Railway
Four representatives each from recognised unions affiliated to all India Railway men's federation and national federation of Indian Railway men.
1. Two representatives of the association affiliated to all India Officers Federation.
2. Two representatives of the association affiliated to Indian Railway Promotee Officers Association.
3. GM and all Heads of Departments.
PREM at Division
It is constituted in the same manner as constituted in the Zonal Head Quarters.
Objectives of PREM
- Evaluate the functioning of the railway and exchange data, ideas, ways and means for improving the efficiency and viability of the organisation.
- Apprise the investment program particularly in regard to housing and welfare services.
- Identify the areas and devise methods for maximizing organizational effectiveness, use of technology and towards building up of the image of Railways as service organisation.
Facilities for PREM representatives
- Two representatives from each of PREM Group constituents at Board level namely, President and General Secretary/Secretary General may be allowed to travel with their spouse in the entitled class while attending PREM Group meetings (4 in a year) at the Apex level for which cheque passes may be issued.
- CUG phone facility existing with Presidents and General Secretaries/Secretaries General of PREM Group constituents at Apex and Zonal and Divisional levels with monthly ceilings as follows: Apex Rs. 1000, Zonal – Rs. 800 and Divisional – Rs. 500.
Joint Councils and Shop Councils
- During 1975 the Ministry of Labour introduced Shop Councils at Shop and department level and Joint Council at organisational level in manufacturing and mining industries to function as a step towards workers participation in management.
- The Shop and Joint councils consists of equal representatives from management and the workers.
- In Railways these councils are functioning in Production Units with a view to maintain good relation among employees in production units.
1. Railway Board’s letter No. 2011/E(LR)III/PREM/FAC/2 dated 09/11/2011