Wagon Numbering System
- New wagon numbering system has been adopted in Indian Railways in 2003. Wagons are given with 11 digit numbers making it easy for identification and digitalizing wagon information.
- First two digits will indicate Type or Wagon. Eg. BOXN, BCN, BCNA etc. Different wagon types are given numbers from 10 to 99.
- Next two digits will indicate Owning Railway. Eg. SR -06, CR-01, 16 Zones are given numbers from 01 to 16 and 25 for CONCOR, 26 for Private owned wagons and 24 for wagons owned by defence.
- Next two digits will indicate Year or Manufacture. eg.13 for 2013.
- Next four digits will indicate Individual Wagon Number (0001 to 1000 for Departmental and 1001 to 9999 for Commercial purpose).
- Last digit will be a 'Check digit'.
Finding check digit
- Step 1 : All even digits ED = D2 + D4 + D6 + D8 + D10
- Step 2 : Add all odd digits OD = D1 + D3 + D5+D7 + D9
- Step 3 : Find ED x 3 + OD
- Step 4 : Deduct it from next multiple of 10 . The number obtained will be check digit.
- Step 1: ED = D2 + D4 + D6 + D8 + D10 = 1+0+6+5+1 = 13
- Step 2 : OD= 3+1+1+9+2=16
- Step 3 : 3x 13 + 16 = 55
- Step 4 : 60 – 55 =5
However. for the convenience of normal day-to-day use, type of wagons will be stenciled alphabetically also.