Paper I GENERAL
- Hierarchical set up and line of control of Operating department at the Divisional, Zonal and Railway Board level.
- TRAFFIC, TRAIN AND POWER CONTROL ORGANISATION
- Objective and set up of control offices.
- Functions of Control Organization pertaining to Train Ordering, Punctuality, Maintenance of Operating Statistics, Wagon & Loco stock management, Blocks(Engg, Traction Distribution etc.) management, Management during Accident, Unusual situations/Circumstances & Disaster Management.
- Duties and responsibilities of Chief Controller, Dy. Chief Controllers, Section Controllers, TNCs, Recorders and their co-ordination with Lobbies, Stations and Yards.
Freight Train Operations(FTO), Freight Train Ordering principles with or without co-ordination with Lobbies.
- Special Instructions during abnormal conditions of working & during emergencies like Cyclone, Civil Disturbances, Accidents etc.
- Daily Performance Reporting from Yards/Sheds to Area Sub-control, Area Sub-control to Divisional Control Office and from Divisional Control Office to Zonal Control Office an from Zonal Control Office to Railway Board.
- Basic and important Documents/Registers maintained in Control Office and their basis.
Power Control Organisation – Engine and Crew scheduling.
- Factors affecting Engine and Wagon utilisation and methods of improvements.
Working pertaining to issue of Caution Orders from Nominated and Notice stations.
- Laison/Co-ordination with Control Establishments of other departments like Engg, TRD, Traction Control, Signalling Control etc.
- FREIGHT TRAIN OPERATIONS
- Functioning of Crew and Guard Lobbies.
- Integrated Lobbies.
- Shunting operations in Yards and Road side stations.
- Working of Marshalling Yards and Transhipment Points.
- Causes of Yard and section congestion and remedial strategies.
- All india Marshalling Order and Railway-wise Marshalling Orders-Principles and Procedures.
- Rules regarding Carriage of Explosives and General goods.
- Priority Schedule.
- Indent Allotment and supply of Freight stock at stations.
- Wagon Stock Management for loading and unloading operations.
- Imposition of Operating Restrictions on wagon loading and acceptance of Wagon Indents.
- Observance of Civil ban, Carriage of contraband goods etc.
- Important documents/registers maintained in Yards and Stations.
- Familiarity with G&SR, Accident Manual, Operating Manual, Block Working Manual, Red Tariff, IR Act 1989 etc.
- Crew Management.
- Engine utilization aspects.
- Engine Crew and Train Crew Schedule.
- Rules regarding outstation and Home Sation rest etc. to ensure observation of 10 hour rule or rules applicable from time to time.
- Movement of Dead Locomotives.
- Management of maintenance Schedule of Locomotives.
- Shed and Traffic Outage of Locomotives.
- Wagon Turn Roud (WTR) & factors affecting optimum utilization of the wagon fllet and method of improvement.
- Running of unit trains and formation of Captive rakes.
- Block Train operations.
- Nominated day loading.
- Rationalization scheme of movement of freight traffic for avoiding congestion by specific routes.
- Merry-Go-Round System.
- Engine-On-Load System.
- Mini Rake System.
- Supervision and control over movement of Special type of Stock, ODC consignments.
Maximum Moving Dimensions.
- Wagon Census.
- Uses of Computer.
• Freight Operations Information System(FOIS).
• Coaching Operations Information System(COIS).
• Rake Management System(RMS).
• Terminal Management System(TMS).
• Computerised Train Charting.
- Relevant rules and Important Policy guidelines.
- C&W Examination for Intensive, Round Trips, Premium and Close Circuit Rakes.
- Sidings and TxR Depots Including POH&ROH Depots and their functions.Supply of Coaches/Wagons to C&W Shops for POH and special repairs.
- Working of Travelling Traffic Cranes for handling heavy consignments at intermediate stations.
- Detaching of Sick Wagons at enroute stations and their repair and clearance.
Interchange Transactions- Junction returs of Inter Railway Interchange Traffic.
- Weighment of Rakes.
- MIL RAIL
- Permissible Axle loads & Heavy Haul Operations.
- Payload to Tare Ration of Wagons.
- Operating Statistics
- Definition, meaning and methods of compilation of the Fundamental and Derived Units.
Analysis of the Operating Statistics.
- Important Operating Efficiency Indices, their meaning and uses.
- Operating Ratio.
- Contain question on subject of interest as well as importance. The question shold test the candidate’s knowledge which is acquired through general observation/general reading without a specific study of any test book. The paper should also contain questions of national importance. The standard of question paper should not be more than that of matriculation level.