The following rules regarding pension apply only to those appointed on or before 31.12.2003.
- Railway Services (Pension) Rules 1993.
- Railway Services (Pension Commutation) Rules 1993
- Railway Services (Extraordinary Pension) Rules 1993
Railway Servants who have been appointed or or after 1.1.2004 New Pension Scheme will apply.
Benefits to all staff at Death/Retirement
- Pension/Family pension.
- PF at the credit of the employee.
- VPF deposit money.
- Amount under Group Insurance Scheme.
- Encashment of Leave.
- Travelling Allowance for self and members of family as on transfer.
- Composite Transfer Grant.
- Settlement/Kit pass.
- Incidental charges for loading of kit.
- Amount under Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme.
- In case of death/disablement appointment of dependant on compassionate grounds.
- In case of death, out-of turn allotment of quarters to dependant.
- Post-Retirement Complimentary Pass.
- Facilities of Medical Attendance.
- Pension on Superannuation.
- Retiring Pension.
- Invalid Pension.
- Compensation Pension.
Quantum of Pension
- Pension on retirement to Permanent/Temporary employees with 10 years of Qualifying Service.
- 50% of average emoluments during past 10 months or pay last drawn whichever is beneficial to the retiring employee.
- Qualifying Service starts from the date of appointment even on temporary basis if followed by confirmation.
Service rendered in State Government followed by absorption in Central government may also count. However following will not count as service:
(i) Service before attaining 18 years.
(ii) Service as Apprentice.
(iii) Overstayed Leave/Joining Time not regularised as leave with leave salary.
(iv) Suspension, if so decided by authority.
(v) Dies-non period.
Following shall count as Qualifying Service:
(i) All duty/leave/deputation period.
(ii) Extra ordinary leave on medical grounds.
(iii)Pre-appointment training of Group C & D.
(iv)Probation followed by confirmation.
(v)Suspension regularised as leave/duty.
(vi)Period paid from contingencies followed by regularisation(Only half the service will count).
- Previous civil service may count in case of those retired on compensation/invalid pension and not others provided they refund all gratuities drawn and surrender pension. Option for this must be given within 3 months of re-employment.
- Previous military service may count if they opt within 1 year of reappointment to refund all gratuities and surrender pension.
Commutation of Pension
- Upto 40% of pension can be commuted and get a lumpsum payment.
No Medical Certificate is required if applied within one year of retirement.
Value of commutation = Commutation Value from the table x 12 x Amount of pension commuted.
- After 15 years of retirement or from date of commuting pension whichever is earlier employee will start getting full pension again.
Commutation is based age next birthday determined with respect to:
(i) Date of superannuation when required with PPO (Pension Pay Order ).
(ii) Date of application if no Medical examination is involved.
(iii)Date of Medical Examination where necessary.