Reservation in Railway jobs for SC/ST/OBC
- List of SC/ST communities are notified statewise.
- Caste is determined on the basis of as per the place of birth of forefathers and the benefit is given on the basis of certificate of District Magistrate/Thahsildar.
- Only Hindus and Sikhs have caste.
- Marriage does not change status.
- Percentage of reservation in Direct Recruitment and Promotions : SC - 15%, ST – 7.5%
- Reservation is made depending on number of posts in a cadre, not on vacancies.
- Post based rosters are prepared and number of points in this roster will be equal to number of posts in the cadre.
- Whenever there is direct recruitment element in any cadre there will be two separate rosters one for direct recruitment posts and another for promotion posts.
- The rosters will have no use after required percentage of reservation has been fulfilled.
- Thereafter each vacancy arise by promotion, retirement etc. will have to be filled up by the employee of the same community. This ensures quota reserved for a community is filled in by the candidate of same community.
- For single post cadre reservation will not apply.
Post based Roster for Promotion from Group C to Group B and within Group B
Following procedure may be followed:
- Vacant posts of Group A as on date of assessment of Group B posts may also be included in the Group B selection vacancies and reservation rosters may be expanded/contracted accordingly.
- While assessing vacancies for a selection period of 24 months vacancies due to arise in the next 6 months may also be included and rosters provided as such.
- A single roster may be operated and for each selection period assessed vacancies maybe divided in 70:30 for selection and LDCE and reservation provided proportionately in the two streams.
- For ad-hoc promotions to Senior scale point based Reservation may be provided with respect to number of Senior Scale posts filled on ad-hoc basis.
Downgrading & Dereservation
- Where it is not possible to fill up a reserved point on roster by a candidate of resrved community post maybe dereserved in the interest of safety/production by General Manager/ Railway Board.
- Post maybe filled by a suitable candidate of other community. If a suitable candidate of other community is not also available this will remain as a vacancy and treated as backlog in the subsequent year.
- As per Point based roster Reservation will not be treated as lapse and filled by unreserved candidate.
- Temporary downgradation to lower post maybe considered when recruitment is not possible due to non-availability of SC/ST candidate.
- This temporary downgradation will be counted against cadre strength of higher grade posts to be restored when suitable candidate become available.
- In case of direct recruitment if suitable candidate of the community is not available it will not be filled by candidate of other community. Vacancy will be carried forward to subsequent year and treated as backlog.
- Backlog will be separate unit and won’t be clubbed with current year vacancy.
- SC/ST candidate promoted on their own merit without availing relaxations will be shown against unreserved posts. Such candidate shall be adjusted against unreserved points. He will retain SC/ST status and will be eligible to get benefit of reservation in future promotions.
Concessions to SC/ST candidates
- Reservation of posts for SC/ST candidate in Direct recruitment and promotion.
- Application Fee at concessional rate.
- Relaxation in maximum age for recruitment.
- Free passes to appear for exam/interview.
- Relaxation in qualification in certain cases.
- Pre-promotional training course for SC/ST candidates who appear for departmental selection exams for promotion.
- Relaxation in qualifying marks in promotion for SC/ST candidates.
- An SC/ST member in all selection Boards.
- 10% vacant quarters I reserved for SC/ST employees.
- If quarters cannot be given posting near to station may be considered as far as possible.
- Separate grievance register for SC/ST Railway employees.
- Preference in admission in Railway schools/institutions for wards of SC/ST employees.
Facilities to All India SC/ST Association
- Maximum 2 informal meetings in a year.
- Supply of circulars on reservation rules and Establishment and other relevant rules.
- Two First Class/ AC Sleeper card passes to President /General Secretary at Central/Zonal levels.
- Stay facilities as per eligibility on payment of prescribed charges.
- Suitable office accommodation at Railway Board/Zonal/Divisional levels and also minimum furniture, fans through local surplus.
- Special Casual Leave and Special passes to not more than 20 office bearers to attend informal meeting at Divisional/Workshop level.
- Telephone facility to President/Working president and General Secretary at Board and Zone levels with zonal STD facility.
Other Backward Communities
- 27% of posts are reserved in case of direct recruitment by RRBs and no reservation in promotion.
- 3 years age relaxation is given for recruitment.