Skip to Content

Reservation in Railway jobs for SC/ST/OBC

Printer-friendly version
  • List of SC/ST communities are notified statewise.
  • Caste is determined on the basis of as per the place of birth of forefathers and the benefit is given on the basis of certificate of District Magistrate/Thahsildar.
  • Only Hindus and Sikhs have caste.
  • Marriage does not change status.
  • Percentage of reservation in Direct Recruitment and Promotions : SC - 15%, ST – 7.5%


  • Reservation is made depending on number of posts in a cadre, not on vacancies.
  • Post based rosters are prepared and number of points in this roster will be equal to number of posts in the cadre.
  • Whenever there is direct recruitment element in any cadre there will be two separate rosters one for direct recruitment posts and another for promotion posts.
  • The rosters will have no use after required percentage of reservation has been fulfilled.
  • Thereafter each vacancy arise by promotion, retirement etc. will have to be filled up by the employee of the same community. This ensures quota reserved for a community is filled in by the candidate of same community.
  • For single post cadre reservation will not apply.

Post based Roster for Promotion from Group C to Group B and within Group B

Following procedure may be followed:

  • Vacant posts of Group A as on date of assessment of Group B posts may also be included in the Group B selection vacancies and reservation rosters may be expanded/contracted accordingly.
  • While assessing vacancies for a selection period of 24 months vacancies due to arise in the next 6 months may also be included and rosters provided as such.
  • A single roster may be operated and for each selection period assessed vacancies maybe divided in 70:30 for selection and LDCE and reservation provided proportionately in the two streams.
  • For ad-hoc promotions to Senior scale  point based Reservation may be provided with respect to number of Senior Scale posts filled on ad-hoc basis.

Downgrading & Dereservation

  • Where it is not possible to fill up a reserved point on roster by a candidate of resrved community post maybe dereserved in the interest of safety/production by General Manager/ Railway Board.
  • Post maybe filled by a suitable candidate of other community. If a suitable candidate of other community is not also available this will remain as a vacancy and treated as backlog in the subsequent year.
  • As per Point based roster Reservation will not be treated as lapse and filled by unreserved candidate.
  • Temporary downgradation to lower post maybe considered when recruitment is not possible due to non-availability of SC/ST candidate.
  • This temporary downgradation will be counted against cadre strength of higher grade posts to be restored when suitable candidate become available.
  • In case of direct recruitment if suitable candidate of the community is not available it will not be filled by candidate of other community. Vacancy will be carried forward to subsequent year and treated as backlog.
  • Backlog will be separate unit and won’t be clubbed with current year vacancy.
  • SC/ST candidate promoted on their own merit without availing relaxations will be shown against unreserved posts. Such candidate shall be adjusted against unreserved points. He will retain SC/ST status and will be eligible to get benefit of reservation  in future promotions.

Concessions to SC/ST candidates

  • Reservation of posts for SC/ST candidate in Direct recruitment and promotion.
  • Application Fee at concessional rate.
  • Relaxation in maximum age for recruitment.
  • Free passes to appear for exam/interview.
  • Relaxation in qualification in certain cases.
  • Pre-promotional training course for SC/ST candidates who appear for departmental selection exams for promotion.
  • Relaxation in qualifying marks in promotion for SC/ST candidates.
  • An SC/ST member in all selection Boards.
  • 10% vacant quarters I reserved for SC/ST employees.
  • If quarters cannot be given posting near to station may be considered as far as possible.
  • Separate grievance register for SC/ST Railway employees.
  • Preference in admission in Railway schools/institutions for wards of SC/ST employees.

Facilities to All India SC/ST Association

  • Maximum 2 informal meetings in a year.
  • Supply of circulars on reservation rules and Establishment and other relevant rules.
  • Two First Class/ AC Sleeper card passes to President /General Secretary at Central/Zonal levels.
  • Stay facilities as per eligibility on payment of prescribed charges.
  • Suitable office accommodation at Railway Board/Zonal/Divisional levels and also minimum furniture, fans through local surplus.
  • Special Casual Leave and Special passes to not more than 20 office bearers to attend informal meeting at Divisional/Workshop level.
  • Telephone facility to President/Working president and General Secretary at Board and Zone levels with zonal STD facility.

Other Backward Communities

  • 27% of posts are reserved in case of direct recruitment by RRBs and no reservation in promotion.
  • 3 years age relaxation is given for recruitment.



Dear Sir,    My age is 28, I

Dear Sir,

   My age is 28, I completed my B.A and MBA marketing can i apply rrb exam 2016 i am belong sc

and i am also completed English and Marathi  typing i am intrested railway....plz replay

Sir I belong to ST but I did

Sir I belong to ST but I did not submit certificate, due to be not made this certificate because I have no own home. Now I have my own home and made thus certificate in 2015. Hence I would be like to how submit this certificate to Service Book and P/Case

Sir, I completed my BE in

Sir, I completed my BE in Electronics guide me how I can apply for railway job

h hhaaa



Sir, I complete 12 th & ITI

Sir, I complete 12 th & ITI
Contract Based Job available on Rly plz help me

my email id

Hi Sir, I B .Com Graduate my

Hi Sir,

I B .Com Graduate my age is 37 till can i apply in railway for job i belongs (SC) caste.

Pls help me to give the details in which age is the last (SC) caste candidate can apply.





Sir , I applied for transfer

Sir , I applied for transfer from new guwahati dsl shed to Dbrt Work shop.My transfer case already approved by Sr Dme/Dsl/Ngc and also approved by DRM (LMG).But in the spare time my transfer file returned from SPO (MLG-HeadQtr)due to a new letter issued by CME. According to the letter transfer between C&W Dsl shed andwork shop will not to be entertained by adminstration as the nature of work in this wings are entirely different . Sir what can i do now....please give me a solution.

sir i am trying to applay for

sir i am trying to applay for the post of indian railway ALP.but i dont know the category no. can u please tell what is my catogory no.(i am in obc caste)


Which employment Notice?

Which employment Notice? Date?

Sir, I complete my M-Pharma,

Sir, I complete my M-Pharma, can i join  any railway departmental job, if any mention please.

reply me


If You have completed M.

If You have completed M. Pharm then it is better to try Asst. Professor Job in Pharmacy Faculty of any University. If further you want to join Indian Railway, there is too much posts which are recruited through graduate candidates. So You can apply for every post which is reserved for graduate candidates. Some popular posts are ASM, Goods Guard, Traffic Inspector, Commercial Clerk, and many other. You can also eligible for Health Inspector.

You can apply for Pharmacist only in case if you are registered in State Pharmacy Council for which your B. Pharm or D. Pharm college should be approved by Pharmacy Council of India.

I am also an M. Pharm and interested in Railway.

brother sone (sleep) ke liye

brother sone (sleep) ke liye taras jaoge railway me and night work work.......
you may join university or collage....

You can apply for Pharmacist.

You can apply for Pharmacist.




respected sir,  i am  working

respected sir,

 i am  working as trackman under engineering department     so  i have   master degree in computer application (MCA)    

can i  write  letter  to "DRM"   utilize   computer knowledge(IT)  in railway   please  give suggestion

my grade pay 1800  now   after  one year   what is  my grade pay?

MCA wont much help in your

MCA wont much help in your job as a Trackman. I am not so hopeful of considering your case even if you write to DRM. You can try.

Your Grade Pay will only change if you get a promotion. Otherwise after one year it will be same.

sir,my self rajesh namdeo,

sir,my self rajesh namdeo, posted as Sr.ASM/NGP.DIV./SECRly since 2004, my wife is UP State Govt Employee posted at Jhansi(UP) , I applied and register for inter railway transfer SECR to NCR but my transfer file did not forwarded by divisional authorities to HQ till now ,by giving remarks of 'cader position' sir what can i do ??????

Once again you can

Once again you can approach your HOD  and explain your critical position to him. Surely, he may help.

Transfer on spouse

Transfer on spouse ground 

Sir , My wife is a state teacher and i applied for transfer on spouse ground but unfortunately

CME write a note that due to shortage of manpower he could not be release.Now i would like to know is there any rule which help me to overcome this situation please help me



Thanking you



  Usually females have to

  Usually females have to move to cities where their husbands are working when they get married. Most of the females have to change their jobs due to transfer problems.

  It is the policy of the Govt. that as far as possible and within the constraints of administrative feasibility, the husband and wife should be posted at the same station to enable them to lead a normal family life and to ensure the education and welfare of their children.   So once again you may approach your HOD for transfer to your wife's place. He may consider sympathetically

   As per the Government


 As per the Government of India, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
(Department of Personnel & Training) Memorandum No.  28034/7/86-Estt. (A) New Delhi  the dt. 03.04.86
1)  Where one spouse is employed under the Central Govt. and the other spouse is employed under the State Govt.,
-  The  spouse  employed  under  the  Central  Govt.  may  apply  to  the  competent authority and the competent authority may post the said officer/staff  to the  station or if  there is no post in that station to the State where the other spouse is posted. 
      However, the final decision only made by competent authority. You can try for mutual trasfer

See this circular:

See this circular:

But see that it is not binding on the administration as it says only " as far possible " or " efforts should be made".



    RRB KOLKATA AND MALDA KA CEN. NOTIFICATION 05/2010 FOR JE (Cat. 48 & 62 ) ka cut off kitna gaya tha?

          Cen. no 01/2012 ka exam(09/09/2012)  RRB,KOLKATA se diyen hain cat no.31 ka , 85 mark aane ka sure hain,koi chance hai kya sir,  belongs to OBC?



Sir  I am a JE (SC)  there is

Sir  I am a JE (SC)  there is a vacancy for sse and total post 41 out of 28 is general,7 SC and 6 out of 28 general post there is 5 SC and 2ST candidate as their seniority list. our administration treat they as a reserve post .

                                             So kindly help me what is actual procedure and what shall i need to do ?and where i get railway board order no for this purpose

Thanking you 




"SC/ST candidates appointed

"SC/ST candidates appointed by promotion on their own merit and seniority and  not owing to reservation or relaxation of qualifications will be adjusted against unreserved points of reservation roster" ( )

See this article also:

Dear Sir/Madam, Pls confirm

Dear Sir/Madam,

Pls confirm that,can apply in RRB for all the states at one time, or confirm that is there any negative marking in RRB exams.............and which books are beneficial for preparation of RRB......






sir , i am retired railway

sir ,
i am retired railway employee (group d) how much DA percentage expect for retired employee

DA is presently 72%

DA is presently 72%

Hi...this is Devendra Naik.S

Hi...this is Devendra Naik.S from Karnataka Sc candidate, i have lot of interesting to doing job in Railway.that's why i want job.

Railways need people who are

Railways need people who are interested to do job with Railways. So I really hope you will get the job. Prepare well for RRB exams and apply when RRB call for vacancies. Good Luck!!!!!!
Unfortunately people lose their interest in jobs once they get the job. If you go quickly through the comments on this site you will see that.

what are the sc relaxation in

what are the sc relaxation in LDCE exam of J.E. in service year

There is no relaxation in

There is no relaxation in service conditions.

dear sir. iam sunilkumar

dear sir. iam sunilkumar maurya i obc.sir my and  my family is a very poor  sir pls silicted in indian railay my age 19 years hai iam a  10th pass in cbse bord in delhi from rpgbsss rihhala delhi 110086

Dear Sunil Kumar, To get

Dear Sunil Kumar,
To get Railway job you have to apply to RRB (Group C job) or RRC (Group D) whenever they call for vacancies. Consult frequently websites of RRB/RRC. OBC have also reservation in Railway jobs.
In the meantime prepare well with the help of some books for Railway Recruitment preparation.
Good luck.

i belong to sc category .i

i belong to sc category .i want to reqest transfer in there any got benifits in transfer.

When spouse is government

When spouse is government employee preference will be given .




RRB regularly issues

RRB regularly issues notifications. Apply for posts for which you have qualification required.

sir i am a student at b.a and

sir i am a student at b.a and my cast is o.b.c kya mai apply kar sakta hu rrb


Of course you can apply for

Of course you can apply for all RRB exams where qualification needed is Degree like Asst Station Master, Reservation Clerk..................

sir i have done please

sir i have done please give me the suggestion..for good job

What is MTM?

What is MTM?

Sir, i'm doing iti in

i'm doing iti in banikark (jaipur) i'm fill rlwy form in this tym. I try complete to make passed rlwy exam. If i didn't then u help me plz......

Unfortunately you have to

Unfortunately you have to pass the exam on your own my dear freind. Nobody else can help yousad

sir,      I have recently


     I have recently joined railway as trackman in group d , my age is 41 yrs of age . can I apply for department change as age for the same has been reduced from 45 to 40 yrs. so it it possible me or not. please advice me.


Thanking u sir

dear sir'                    

dear sir'                                                                                                                                                                                            iam passed inter 69% in mpc group  how io  apply the group d...plz tell me sir

Whenever Railway Recruitment

Whenever Railway Recruitment Cell call for application apply. Now REC Chennai has called for application for Southern Railway and ICF.

Hi evrybuddy.... a warm gud

Hi evrybuddy.... a warm gud morng to u all... actually i have cleared the written xam of alp and called for aptitude test in kolkata . i wanna know dat how much ques one should attempt to b select
ed... and wat's happen if we darken wrong answer... waiting for elaborated reply

my date of birth 01-01-1978 

my date of birth 01-01-1978  and i m graduate IT. i m unemploye . if any job for me in railway .

You can apply for graduate

You can apply for graduate level posts like ASM, Traffic/Commercial Apprentice etc. Wait for RRB call.

To protect against spam we limit the Comments only for the registerd users. Please register  or loginThank you for your understanding.

Book navigation

Custom Search