Promotion to Non- Selection Posts
- For non-selection posts selection is done based on seniority cum suitability.
- Non-selection posts will be filled by promotion of the senior most suitable Railway servant after suitability is determined on the basis of the record of service and/or departmental tests .
- A senior person is rejected only when declared unfit. (Ref 2)
- For promotion within Group C one must render a minimum of 2 years service in immediate lower grade. (Ref 2 & 3)
- The Service for this purpose includes service rendered on ad hoc basis followed by regular service without break also. (Ref 2 & 3)
- The condition of two years service should be fulfilled at the time of actual promotion and not necessarily at the stage of consideration. (Ref 2 & 3)
- Where candidate with 2 years service are not available post may be downgraded and operated in lower grade.
- GM may give relaxation in this rule in administrative interest.
- Prescribed period of probation should be satisfactorily completed before promotion.
- The number of eligible staff called for consideration should be equal to the number of existing vacancies plus those anticipated during the next six months due to retirement/superannuation, likely acceptance of requests for voluntary retirement/resignation, the vacancies in the higher grades in the channel, staff approved to go on deputation to other units, staff already empanelled for ex-cadre posting, creation of additional posts already sanctioned by the competent authority and due to staff likely to go out on transfer to other Railways/Divisions. (Ref 2)
- Employees passing the suitability test should only be placed in the select list. (Ref 2 & 4)
- An employee who has passed a suitability test once need not be called for the test again and should be eligible for promotion as and when vacancies arises. (Ref 2 & 4)
- A suitability test should be held at the interval which should not be less than six months. If an employee fails in a suitability test but passes a subsequent test after a gap of six months, he should be given preference over his junior who had passed the suitability test earlier than him but is still waiting to be promoted for want of a vacancy. (Ref 2 & 5)
1. Rule 212 of Indian Railway Establishment Manual
2. Rule 214 of Indian Railway Establishment Manual
3. Railway Board’s letter No. E(NG)I-85-PM1/13(RRC) dt. 9.02.87 and E(NG)I-97/PM1/39 dated 7.8.98
4. Railway Board's letter No. E(NG) I-66 PM 1-98 dated 13-10-1967
5. Board's letter No. E(NG) I-66 PM I-98 dated 18-2-1967