Performance Appraisal and Confidential Report
- Confidential Report(CR) is prepared for Railway employees in Group A, B, C at the end of each Financial Year.
- It is written by immediate superior who must take inot account performance of concerned railway staff over the period.
- Senior subordinates and officers to be given targets in advance and work is to be reviewed periodically.
- At the end of year Railway employee gives self-assessment along with resume of work done and reasons for shortfalls.
- Reporting officer must fill up each column and make overall assessment based on assessment in each column based on actual performance and matters on record.
- Form covers general qualities, professional abilities, integrity, intelligence, tact, industry, keenness, attitude to SC/ST, to superiors, equals and subordinates, general conduct and character, sociability, aptitudes and shortcomings etc.
- Whenver an entry is based on actual incident it should be indicated. Resume given by the employee should alos be considered.
- Reporting officer will submit report to Reviewing officer who may make his own assessment and record changes if necessary. Report is finally put up to accepting authority.
- Adverse entries in the CR should be communicated to the employee concerned and his represetation if any in this regard shall be considered by the acceptin authority who will pass a speaking order if representation is to be rejected. If accepted adverse remarks shall be expunged.
- CR should be written with utmost circumspection, caution and care.
- CR is in two parts.
- Entries in part II are not communicated.
- Self appraisal should be fillled in by staff in GP 4200 and above who are likely to be considered for Group B posts.
Merits of Performance Appraisal
- Gives opportunity to the staff concerned to review his own performance through self-appraisal.
- It is beneficial for the administration for placements, promotion, deputation, training, career planning, growth etc.
- Periodical review of targets and performance.
- CPOs shall ensure that schedule of writing CR adhered to.
- No officer under suspension shall be allowed to write/review CR of subordinates, if during major part of writing/reviewing he was under suspension.