- Passes and PTOs are not transferable and should be used only by the person in whose favour they have been issued.
- Passes may also be returned within one month of the expiry of the pass or its utilization whichever is earlier.
- Fine of Rs. 10/- for second class and Rs.25/- for First Class passes may be imposed on the Railway employees for not filling the date of commencement of the journey on both privilege and duty passes.
- For the issuance of pass a year means a Calendar year.
Validity of passes/PTOs
|Single Journey Pass||5 months from date of issue|
|Return Journey Pass||5 months from date of issue|
|Single Journey PTO||5 months from date of issue|
|Return Journey PTO||5 months from date of issue|
|Settlement Pass||1 year from date of Retirement|
|Kit Wagon Pass||1 month from issue|
Ref : RBE 82/2008 dated 10.07.2008
Pass shall normally be issued via shortest route, provided that a longer route may be permitted on the Privilege Pass in the following circumstances :-
- two alternative routes are available for a destination, for example - Bombay to Calcutta via Nagpur or via Allahabad and Bombay to Delhi by the Central Railway or by the Western Railway - such passes may be permitted by either route irrespective of the distance involved;
- If longer route preferred by the Railway employee does not exceed by fifteen percent of the distance via the direct route such passes may be issued even if a double journey over a small portion is involved (for example - ex-Chittaranjan to Kancharapara via Howrah or ex-Lucknow to a station on the Southern/South Central Railway via Bombay V.T.), provided the distance does not exceed the distance via the shortest route by more than 15% to take advantage of terminal facilities as in Bombay V.T. - Kalyan or Madras-Arkonam sections;
- If the longer route is quicker than the direct route irrespective of distance involved.
Against the column Route/via it can be written as 'available over IR & KRC
- Pass holder can include any number of stations for break journey in the pass.
- In addition an unscheduled break journey can be made and endorsed by SM/TC on the pass.
Year ending passes
- Passes, PTOs , Post Retirement Complimentary passes, Widow passes as due on for the year can be issued upto 31st March of next year half set pass and 30 April in case of full set.
- Validity of these passes/PTOs will be upto 31 MArch/30 April only.
Pass in next year’s account
- One set of Pass/PTO/Complimentary Pass/Widow pass not more than 100 days in advance of beginning of the next year, for journeys commencing in the next year duly debiting such issue of pass/PTO in the next year’s pass account.
- The validity of the pass shall be four months from the date of issue. *
- Passes as for Railway employees shall be applicable to various categories of trainees and apprentices, but not to their families.
Pass on Jan Shatabdi Express
I/I A Pass
- Can travel in Chair Car same as in Shatabdi Express.
- Attendant in Iind class.
- Widow/Post retirement pass holder above 65 years can take a companion as per rules.
Garib Rath Express
- All I/I ‘A’/II ‘A’ Passes to serving and retired Railway employees are valid. Attendant not permitted.
* Railway Board’s letter No. E(W)2010/PS5-17/l dated 3-6-2011