- Indian Railways has an extensive network of hospitals and clinics. There are specialized hospitals for cancer(Varanasi), heart diseases(Chennai), orthopaedics(Kolkata) and Plastic surgery(Mumbai).
- In addition, 150 private hospitals are recognized for treatment.
- Railway employees are referred to Medical Colleges and specialized treatment centres and expenses are reimbursed.
- Indian Railways have their own Family Planning and Family Welfare centres to look after health of mothers and children.
- All Railway employees.
- Families of Railway employees and “Dependent relative” . No age and other restrictions for children and step-children, they should be wholly dependent and residing with the Railway employee. “Dependent” mean a person who does not have independent income more than 15% of the emoluments of the Railway servant concerned or Rs. 3500/-plus dearness relief thereon, rounded off to the nearest ten rupee figure, whichever is more.
- Spouses, employed or not.
- Act Apprentices who come within the family of Railway employee.
- Staff of institutes, Clubs, Statutory canteens.
- Servants of Railway employee – only outdoor treatment.
- Casual Labours, Licensed porters, Staff of co-operative canteens.
- Contractors’ labour if no hospital exists(Contractor has to pay).
Authorized Medical Officer
- DMO/ADMO for Gazetted Officers and ADMO for non-Gazetted employees.
- In case medical attendance is required at home Railway employee concerned has to pay on per visit basis or contract basis. DMO is entitled to get 2% from the pay of employee and ADMO is entitled for 1%.
- Bearing photo of the Railway employee and details of family of the Railway employee. In case of loss duplicate card on payment of Rs.10.
- Normally employee has to take a sick memo from the office concerned and report to Doctor. Doctor may issue a sick certificate if he feels.
- A sick Railway employee cannot leave headquarters without permission of Doctor.
- When he is fit for duty Doctor will issue him a Fit Certificate.
- In case a Railway employee taking treatment from a Private Doctor or report sick away from Headquarters he should report to Railway Doctor in the area. If no Railway Doctor is available within 2.5 km of his headquarters or within 1 km in case working outstation then Private Medical Certificate produced by him will be accepted if there is no doubt.
Authority for different types of Sick/ Fit certificate
|Upto 4 months||ADMO|
|Upto 9 months||DMO|
|Upto 18 months||Administrative Grade Medical Officer in charge of Hospital/Division|
|Beyond18 months||Approval Chief Medical Director of has to be taken.|
Certificate of recommendation for leave for change of air or recuperation
|Upto 2 months||DMO|
|Upto 9 months||SAG/JAG Grade Medical officer|
|Beyond 9 months||Chief Medical Director (PHOD)|
Ref: 1)Indian Railway Medical Manual
2) Railway Board’s letter No. 2010/H-1/2/21 dated 07.06.2011