- Leave cannot be claimed by the employee as a matter of right. The right to grant or refuse leave vests in the authority competent to sanction leave.
- The leave usually commences on the day charge is handed over and ends on the day the charge is taken over again.
- Leave sanctioning authority cannot alter the kind of leave due and applied for except at the written request of the employee.
- Leave already availed maybe converted into another kind of leave on employee's request retrospectively but not after retirement.
- Leave cannot be sanctioned for more than 5 years.
- Combination of holidays preceding or in continuation of leave is permitted. In case of medical certificate of sickness, the holidays will be part of sickness leave.
- The employee is not permitted to take up any employment during the period of leave.
- Employee should take permission to leave headquarters specially for private visits abroad. When permission to visit abroad is sought, information relating to the proposed and previous private visits should be furnished in the prescribed proforma.
Planning for Leave
- Employees should be encouraged to take leave periodically or annually as per instructions by Department of Personnel and Training.
- Detailed plan should be made out for sanction of leave to staff by turn keeping in view priorities of staff and work.
- Normally leave should not be refused in particular during last 10 years of service.
- Going on leave is beneficial to both Railway employee and organization as employee return refreshed from leave.
1. Chapter 5 of Indian Railway Establishment Code.