LBH Brake Van
- For improved safety and comfort , Indian Railways have introduced Linke Holfmann Bush (LHB) coaches in 2000.
- LHB coaches have been developed by Linke-Hofmann-Busch in Germany (ALSTOM).
- IR entered into contract with ALSTOM for initial supply , Transfer of Technology for design and manufacturing, the training of Indian Railways personnel in the premises of the manufacturer and the technical assistance to Rail Coach Factory, Kapurthala during the initial stages of production.
- In 2002 RCF rolled-out the first rake of ALSTOM-LHB Chair Car Coaches for Shatabadi Express.
- Presently LHB coaches are run only in premium air-conditioned services such as Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto trains owing to high cost of manufacture (currently about Rs. 2 crore).
Features of LHB coaches
- Designed for an operating speed up to 160 km/h and tested up to 180 km/h.
- Crashworthy design.
- Improved suspension system ensuring more riding comfort for the passengers.
- Microprocessor controlled high capacity air conditioning system .
- The automatic center buffer coupler(AAR tight lock type CBC).
- CBC coupler has a support frame which is providing an anti-climbing protection in case of accidents. The coupler can be opened from the side by a lever.
- The design allows also the use of screw coupler instead of center buffer coupler.
- Stronger bogie -body connection and intra-bogie connection.