Job profile of Assistant Station Master (ASM)
- Job profile: ASM will be the in charge of running of trains at a station. He operates the signals, ensures that everything goes as per the rules laid out. He will be working in shifts. Big stations may have more than one ASM.
Career path :
Assistant Station Master ->
Station Master ->
Station Supt. ->
Assistant Operations Manager->
Divisional Operations Manager ->
25% of the vacancies in the category of Station Masters (GP 4200) will be filled by induction of Traffic Apprentices of which 15% will be from the open market through the Railway Recruitment Boards and 10% from amongst the serving (non-Ministerial) graduates through limited Departmental Competitive Examinations. (Ref 1)
- 60% of vacancies will be filled by direct recruitment through Railway Recruitment Boards(RRB).
- 15% by Limited Departmental Competitive Examination(LDCE) from amongst group C & D staff of Operating and Commercial departments with an upper age limit of 45 years (50 years in the case of SC/ST) and qualification of Graduation subject to the condition that Group D staff have rendered a minimum of 5 years regular Railway Service. Shortfall in 15% LDCE quota may be made good by direct recruitment.
- 25% by general selection from amongst employees possessing the qualification of Matriculation and working as Shunting Masters, Cabinmen I, Switchmen, Sr. Signallers and Sr. Train Clerks and Leverman Gr.I, Pointsman Gr.I, Shuntman Gr.I Cabinman Gr.II and Train Clerks with upper age limit of 45 years (50 years in the case of SC/ST). Shortfall against the quota may be made good by direct recruitment.
Qualification : Degree from recognized university or equivalent.
Diploma in Rail Transport & Management, Transport Economics, Multimodal Transport (Containerization) awarded by Institute of Rail Transport, Rail Bhawan, New Delhi will be additional desirable qualification. (Ref 1)
- Selection Process : Written Examination (in two stages –preliminary and final) followed by Aptitude Test and Document Verification.
Salary and other perks
(i)Pay Scale5200 – 20200(ii)Grade Pay2800(iii)Initial Pay8560(iv)Total Pay (i) + (ii )11360
Other Allowances depend on various conditions and hence cant be stated uniformly. Other major allowances include :
Transport AllowanceHouse Rent Allowance(if not provided with quarters
- Deductions from salary include 10% of total Pay towards New Pension scheme.
1. Rule 121 of Indian Railway Establishment Manual Chapter I