- On the death of a Railway employee or Retired Railway employee.
- For grant of Family pension family is categorised into two.
- Category I
- Widow/Widower upto death/remarriage.
- Son/Daughter including widowed daughter upto date of his/her marriage/remarriage or till the date he/she starts earning or till 25 years whichever is earlier.
- Category II
- Unmarried/Widowed /Divorced daughter not coverd by Category I above upto date of his/her marriage/remarriage o r upto death whichever is earlier.
- Parents who were wholly dependant on the Railway employee when he/she was alive provided the deceased employee had left behind neither a widow nor a child.
- Dependent disabled siblings of a Government servant/pensioner .
- Family Pension to Unmarried/Widowed /Divorced daughter and dependant parents will continue till death.
- Family Pension to Unmarried/Widowed /Divorced daughter and dependant parents will be paid only after other eligible persons in Category I have ceased to be eligible to be receive Family pension and there is no disabled child to receive Family Pension.
- Grant of Family Pension to to children in respective categories shall be payayable in the order of Date of birth so that younger of them will not be eligible unless next above him become ineligible.
- Dependancy criteria for purpose of family pension shall be the minimum Family Pension along with Dearness Relief.
- Childless widow of a deceased Railway employee shall be continued to bepaid Family Pension even after remarriage subject to condition that the Family Pension cease once her income from all other sources becomes equal to or higher than the minimum prescribed Family Pension along with Dearness Relief. In such cases the Family Pensioner has to declare her income from other sources to pension disbursing authority every 6 months.
- Every Railway Servant on entering service shall furnish his family details. Subsequent information will be submitted to Head of Department who will keep the information.
- Family Pension will be payable to only one person at a time except when a Railway employee is survived by more than one wife or one wife and children from another wife or when twin children of a deceased Railway employee are eligible in which case it will be paid in equal shares. In those cases on the death of one of the twins or one wife cease to be eligible other get full Family Pension.
- Family Pension is also admissible to post-retirement spouses and their children.
- When both husband and wife are Railway employees or Government Servants on death of one , the other will get full Family Pension and in case of death of both, children will get two Family Pensions subject to the maximum limits laid down. However when is charged of murdering the Railway employee no Family Pension will be paid until acquitted.
- Claim towards Pay and Allowances of a deceased Railway Employee may be paid on execution of Indemnity bond.
Family Pension in case of death/Injury by hostilities/Terrorists/Dacoits etc.
- Widow will get Family Pension equal to pay last drawn by the deceased Railway Employee for life/remarriage.
- After remarriage Family Pension will be paid at the normal rates and subject to conditions following remarriage.
Railway Employee disappearing suddenly
- Salry due, Leave encashment, PF may be paid on application and after expiry of one year. Family Pension also to be paid one year from date of first report lodged with Police.
Family Pension at enhanced rates
- Family Pension at enhanced rates is paid for a period of 10 years in case of a Railway employee dying in harness.
- In case of death of a Pensioner below 67 years, Family Pension is paid at enhanced rates for a period of 7 years or upto the date on which the deaceased pensioner would have reached 67 years whichever is earlier.
Has to be given seperately for:
- Death-cum-Retirement Gratuity.
- SR Provident Fund.
- Contributory Provident Fund.
- Arrears of Pension etc.