- The facility of a Companion will be provided only on I/I A post-retirement complimentary pass of retired railway servants who are above the age of 65 years if there is already a provision to carry an Attendant as per the Railway Servants (Pass) Rules, 1986.*
- The facility of a Companion in lieu of attendant will be permitted only when the pass holder and/or eligible members of family above the age of 65 years is travelling along with the Companion in Sleeper class / II class.
- They are also allowed to take a companion along with them in higher class on payment of full difference of fare between sleeper class/ II class and the class in which the retired railway employee travels. **
- If any other eligible members of the family below the age of 65 years is included in the pass, then the facility of travel in Sleeper Class /II class with a Companion will not be permitted.
- An endorsement will be made on the pass "permitted companion in lieu of attendant".
- There is no age restriction on for the companion, who could be of any age.
- Retired Railway employees /Widows of 70 years of age and above, who are entitled to Ist Class /Ist ‘A’ Post Retirement Complimentary /Widow Passes may be allowed to take a companion in the same class by paying 1/3rd of the difference of fare between Sleeper Class /II Class and the higher class in which the retired Railway employee /Widow travels in all trains, including Rajdhani /Shatabdi trains, subject to the existing restriction regarding number of berths in Rajdhani /Shatabdi trains. If any member of his / her family is below 70 years of age and he /she travels along with the pass holder the facility of companion in the same class by paying 1/3rd difference of fare between Sleeper Class /II Class and the higher class shall not be available. #
* RailwayBoard's letter No. E(W) 96PS5-8/2 dt. 05.01.1999 ; RBE No.3/99
** E(W)96PS5-8/2 dated 17.2.2004 (RBE 33/2004) & 89/2007 dated 15.06.2007
# Railway Board Letter No. E[W]96 PS5-8/2 dated 09.09.2009 [RBE No.164/09]