Benefits for Trade Apprentice under Apprentice Act
The stipend payable to the Trade Apprentices w.e.f. 18.10.2010 is as under:-
- During the first year of training-Rs. 1490 per month.
- During the second year of training- Rs. 1700 per month.
- During the third year of training-Rs. 1970 per month.
- During the fourth year of training –Rs. 2220 per month.
Engineering Graduates/Diploma Holders should be paid stipend with effect from 23rd March, 2011 at the revised rates
- Graduate Apprentices Rs. 3560 per month.
- Sandwich Course (Students from Degree Institutions) Rs. 2530 per month.
- Technician Apprentices Rs. 2530 per month.
- Sandwich course (Students from Diploma Institutions) Rs. 2070 per month.
- Technician (Vocational) Apprentices Rs. 1970 per month.
- No deduction should be made from the stipend for the period during which an apprentice remains on casual leave or medical leave. Stipend is, however, not payable for the period for which an apprentice remains on extra ordinary leave.
Test and grant of Certificate
- Every trade apprentice on completion of the training will, on passing a test conducted by the National Council of Vocational Training to determine his proficiency in the designated trade, be granted a certificate of proficiency by the National Council.
Engagement of Apprentices after training
- Railways are not under obligation to engage the apprentices after training.
- Other things being equal between two candidates the candidate who is course completed Act Apprentice trained in Railway Establishment will be given preference in case of recruitment to the post of - (i) Skilled Artisans, (ii) Group 'C' posts for which Engineering Degree and Engineering Diploma are the qualification (iii) Diesel Electric Assistants (iv) Group 'D' posts.
- However, there would be no change in the procedure of the recruitment and the selection for recruitment will be in accordance with the merits of the eligible candidates.
- Course Completed Act Apprentices can be engaged as Substitutes in Group ‘D’ under General Managers’ powers in administrative exigencies.
Age relaxation for Recruitment
- For recruitment to the posts of Diesel Electric Assistants and in Group 'D' categories the upper age limit will be relaxed for course completed Act Apprentices, to the extent of the period of apprenticeship.
- For recruitment to the posts of Skilled Artisans, the upper age limit for the course completed Act Apprentices will be 35 years if he had commenced his apprenticeship under the Apprenticeship Act before attaining the age of 25 years.