Aptitude Test (psychological Test) in direct recruitment by RRBs to safety categories
Aptitude tests shall be applicable to those candidates who qualify in the written tests conducted by Railway Recruitment Boards (RRB)s against direct recruitment quota for recruitment to the following safety categories of staff with a view to improve quality of personnel and operational safety:
- Assistant Station Master
- Assistant Driver (Diesel/Electric)
- Motorman (EMU/MEMU/DMU)
Conduct of Aptitude Tests
- Aptitude tests will be conducted and evaluated by Psycho Technical Unit of RDSO (Research, Design and Standards Organization) attached to Chief Safety Officer of the concerned Zonal Railway in co-ordination with the Railway Recruitment Board.
- The tests shall be conducted by SSO/JSO associating an officer nominated by Chief Safety Officer.
- Chief Personnel Officer shall also nominate one JA Grade Officer who shall witness opening and sealing of test papers prior to and after test.
- The Aptitude test batteries standardised by RDSO for respective categories shall be used in recruitments.
- RDSO shall make necessary test batteries and manuals available, will perform periodic monitoring of testing, training of personnel connected with testing and follow up research will be done.
- OMR answer sheets are used.
- Normally, two forms of each test will be used in a testing session. The booklets should be distributed to the candidates in such a way that two adjoining candidates do not get the same test form.
- In a day 70 candidates, split in two batches of not more than 35 candidates each, may be put to Aptitude tests.
- As soon as the tests for first session are over, the duplicate carbon-less answer sheets shall be separated from the main sheet.
- The two sets of sheets shall be packed in separate envelopes and sealed using paper seals bearing signature of all the members of the Committee.
- The original OMR answer sheets shall be handed over to Chairman/RRB for coding on day-to-day basis.
- Duplicate answer sheets will be sent to Railway Recruitment Control Board (RRCB). Results of tests will normally be processed on the OMRs installed at the Zonal Railways.
- The processing of result shall not take more than a week.
- The Chairman/RRB shall send a copy of the panel of finally selected candidates along with code number to SSO/JSO after finalisation of results.
- RDSO shall arrange to make random surveillance checks on accuracy of result processed at Zonal Railways.
- System of multiple cut off will apply for the Aptitude Test which means candidates have to qualify in each section of Aptitude Test separately.
- Cut in off marks will be decided by RDSO each case.
- If a candidate scores less than the cut off marks in any sub test of Aptitude Test, he will be eliminated from the selection process. (Ref 4)
- The marks obtained in written test would be added to marks obtained in Aptitude test to prepare a combined merit list on the basis of total marks of 100.
- The ratio of written test marks and aptitude test marks shall be 70:30.
Appeals against aptitude test
- No appeal shall normally lie against the results of Aptitude test. However, specific complaints may be enquired into by Railway Recruitment Control Board (RRCB).
Special provision for Aptitude Test in case of Compassionate ground candidates
Following Special provision for Aptitude Test are given in case of Compassionate ground candidates for the post of Asst. Station Masters and Asst. Loco Pilots:
- Candidates may be called a day prior to the test for a hands-on practice session while conducting Aptitude Test so that they are familiar with the nature of the test batteries
- In exceptional cases where circumstances warrant additional [second] chance may be given, but only after a gap of six months. (Ref 5)
- Test batteries differ as per the requirements of the post.
- Following are the test batteries usually used by RDSO for the test.
Assistant Station Master (ASM)
1. Odd Figure Test
2. Similar Figure Test
3. Short Route Search Test
4. Shape, Size & Colour Test
5. Aptitude Test
6. Number Based Test
Assistant Loco Pilots (ALP)
1. Brick Test
2. Similarity Test
3. Yes or No Test
4. Memory Test
5. Table Test
6. Number Based Test
Instructions to candidates
- Follow the instructions given by the invigilator at the test.
- Each test have a different time-limit which is informed to the candidates at the hall itself.
- Each test will have different qualifying marks also.
- Qualifying marks will be decided by RDSO on a case by case basis.
- Generally tests are administered in small groups and candidates have to answer in Optical Mark Reader Answer Sheets.
- Computer based tests are in active consideration of RDSO for conducting Psychological tests.
- Railway Board's letter No. E(RRB)2003/25/7 dt.4.6.03 (RBE No.90 /2003).
- Railway Board’s letter No. E(RRB)2003/25/7 dated 5.10.04
- Railway E(RRB)/2003/25/7 dated 24.5.04 (RRCB No.4/04)
- Railway Board's letter No. E(RRB)2003/25/7 dated 21.3.2005 (RBE No.48/05)
- Railway Board's letter No. E[NG]II/2006/RC-1/Genl./9 dated 04-04-2007 (RBE No. 53/07)