5 myths about Indian Railway employee
1. Myth : Railway employees have huge salary package.
Fact : Railway employee salary is on par with other central government employees often for far worse working conditions. In comparison with Banks and some Corporations Railway employee is grossly underpaid.
2. Myth: Indian Railway pays its employees a huge amount as annual bonus.
Fact : Even though each year they declare bonus like 60 days, 75 days none of the employees actually get this much day of salary as bonus. They calculate it and then they declare we have a ceiling of say Rs. 7500 for this year.
3. Myth: All Railway staff can travel all over Indian Railways with their families including in air-conditioned coaches.
Fact : For the first 5 years of service of a Railway employee he is given only one set of pass for staff and family to and fro any destination in India. This pass is for one single to and fro journey. This is very much like LTC (Leave Travel Concession) facility for other Government employees. Railway employee is not eligible for LTC. From sixth year of service the number of passes is three.
4. Myth: Working conditions in Indian railways are best.
Fact : An average Railway employee works in some of the worst working conditions. Day & night, scorching sun or pouring rain he is forced to work. Work for some of the categories like gangmen, technician are extremely arduous in nature.
5. Myth: Working hours are flexible.
Fact : Absolutely not for many categories of railwaymen. Most employees are forced to work 48 hours or more. Some are even forced to work even 72 hours in what the call as EI roster.