- Pension claims are processed by the Head of the Department of the Railway employee.
- Process for sanctioning Pension claims are to be initiated by Head of the Department two years in advance of the retirement of the Railway employee in the prescribed form(Form 7).
- Eight months prior to the retirement of the Railway employee , the concerned employee has to submit certain informations(joint photo, family details, name of bank etc.) to the Head of the Department in prescribed form(form 5).
- Pension is sanctioned by Accounts Officer who issues Pension Pay Order(PPO) not later than one month prior to the retirement date.
- If delay is anticipated in this, Head of the Department has to sanction pension provissionally and provisional gratutity.
- For Family Pension, the deceased pensioners family should apply in form 14 to
(i) The Pension disbursing authority if the amount of Family Pension is already indicated in Pension Pay Order.
(ii) To Head of the Department for sanction of Family Pension in all other cases.
- Interest has to be paid if retirement/death gratutity is delayed due to administrative lapse beyond 3 months at the rate of interest ason PF account.
- Pension Pay Order(PPO) is a valuable document containing a running account of your pensionary entitlements.
- Pension/Gratuities are paid in Rupees in India only.
- No retired Railway employees can draw two pensions in the service/post at the same time. However there is no bar for an employee drawing more than one pension on account of separate spells of employment qualifying for separate pensions, or due to a combination of pension and Family Pension or civil and military pension.
- Pension/Family Pension is payable upto and including the day of death of the recipient.
A pensioner is entitled to nominate any person to receive his lifetime arrears.
- Nomination has to be submitted to the Heads of the Department while pension claims are processed and to Pension Disbursing authority after.
- Grant of pension and its continuance are subject to future good conduct of the pensioner.
- Pension finally authorised cannto be revised to the detriment of the pensioner except to correct a clerical error.
- Pension cannot be attached, sized etc. for any demand against a pensioner or make any assignments etc. in anticipation of pension.
- But if a pensioner is convicted of a serious crime or found guilty of grave misconduct or negligence, pension may be withheld or withdrawn fully or partially for a specified or indefinite period.
- Recovery from pension may also be done for any pecuniary loss to the government.
Government dues(pertaining to Government accommodation, outstanding, balance of advances, overpayment etc.) are adjustable against gratuities.(other than Service Gratuity) and/or Death Gratuity.
Pension is paid through:
- Public sector Bank
- Pay and Accounts Office
- Money Order
- Post Office
Redress of Grievances/Complaints
- May be taken up with HOD, Pension sanctioning authority or Pension Disbursing authority as the case maybe.
- Pension adalats conducted by the various railways can also be approached.
- Department of Pension and Pensioner’s Welfare, New Delhi can alos be approached for complaints which looks after grievances and problems of pensioners.