Guidelines to follow when both spouses are Railway employees
- Where both the spouses are railway employees and belong to the same seniority units: They should invariably be posted together in order to enable them to lead a normal family life and look after the welfare of their children. Both the railway servants may be posted at the same station /place ensuring that one of them does not work as subordinate to the other.
- Where both the spouses are railway servants but belong to different seniority units: Efforts may be made to post both the railway servants at the station where posts at appropriate level exist in the respective seniority units failing which requests for change of the category may be considered sympathetically keeping in view all other relevant rules in the matter.
- Where one of the spouses is a railway servant and the other belongs to All India Service or another Central Service: The Railway servant should be posted at station/place in the Railway /Division/PU in whose territorial jurisdiction the place /state of posting of his/her spouse falls or as close to it as possible if there is no Railway Organisation /post at the place/state of posting of the spouse.
- Where one of the spouses is a railway servant and the other belongs to a State Service: The Railway servant should be posted at the station/place in the Railway /Division/PU in whose territorial jurisdiction the place /state of posting of his/her spouse falls. If it is not possible, if a request from the railway servant to the Controlling Authority of the spouse for his /her posting at the place of posting of the railway servant is received the same may be forwarded to the concerned authority for sympathetic consideration.
- Where one of the spouses is a railway servant [ All India Service] and the other is working in a Central/State/Public Sector Undertaking/Autonomous Body/Private Sector: The Railway servant may apply to the controlling Authority for a posting at the place of posting of his/her spouse which may be considered favourably by the competent authority. If no post is available for posting of the railway servant at the place of posting of the spouse he/she may be posted to a place closer to the place of posting of the spouse. If this also is not possible application from the railway servant for posting of the spouse who is working in the Central/State/Public Sector Undertaking may be forwarded to the controlling authority of the spouse for his / her posting at or near the place of the railway servant.
- In all cases the cadre controlling authority should strive to post the employee at the station of spouse as far as possible. In case of inability to do so for some specific reasons, this may be communicated to the employee.
- The complaints against non-adherence to these instructions should be decided by the authorities at least one level above the authorities which took the original. All such representations should be considered and disposed off in a time bound manner.
- While all efforts may be made to post the husband and wife at the same station, instructions issued by the Board from time to time in regard to request transfer/Change of category should be followed in all such cases.
- A separate register may be maintained at each Divisional and Zonal headquarters of the Railways for registering requests for transfers from railway servants for posting at the place of posting of their spouses, which may be reviewed from time to time, by competent authority.