The existing yardsticks for creation/extension of gazetted posts for Signal and Telecommunication Department are more than a decade old. Due to rapid changes in the technological developments and management methods, revision of the norms for revenue charged Gazetted Organization of Signal and Telecommunication Department on all Indian Railways has been under consideration for some time past.
The revised yardsticks recommended by the Committee comprising Additional Member (signal) and three Executive Directors (EDF(E), ED(E&R) and EDE(GC) and duly approved by the Board are circulated herewith, as per Annexure to this letter.
2. Board have also decided that while creating any posts against new assets, the existing posts may also be reviewed against the proposed norms so as to bring about an overall optimization in gazetted cadre in Signalling Department.
3. All other conditions for creation of Gazetted posts as contained in Board’s letter No. 2006 E(GC) 13-16 dt. 7.9.2006 will remain in force.
4. This issues with the concurrence of Signal and Finance Directorates in the Ministry of Railways.
Yardsticks for creation of Revenue charged Gazetted posts
1. Broad guidelines for prescription of yardstick
* Have minimum Basic organization of one JAG, one Senior Scale and one Junior Scale office in the division irrespective of the workload.
* One post of Junior Scale is added for every 50000 DISTUS (Divisional Integrated Signal and Telecom Unit)
* One post of Senior Scale is added for every 100000 DISTUS
* One post of JAG is added for every 200000 DISTUS
2. Revised Norms
Based on above guidelines, the following norms are applicable for divisional gazetted posts:
S. No. Workload in DISTUs Yardsticks
JS SS JAG/SG
1. Up to 50000 DISTUs 1 1 1
2. Workload between 50001 to 100000 DISTUs 2 1 1
3. Workload between 100001 to150000 DISTUs 3 1 1
4. Workload between 150001 to200000 DISTUs 4 1 1
5. Workload between 20001 to 250000 DISTUs 5 2 1
6. Workload between 250001 to 300000 DISTUs 6 2 1
7. Workload between 300001 to 350000 DISTUs 7 3 2
8. Workload between 350001 to 400000 DISTUs 8 3 2
9. Workload above 400000 DISTUs 9 4 2
3. Other Norms regarding jurisdiction, distribution of work etc.
* Wherever more than one officer of same scale will be present, the distribution of duties will be well defined like geographical limits, signal and telecom, coordinating etc. to ensure that there is no overlapping of duties.
* For Divisions having more than one admissible SG/JAG posts, the senior-most officer will be coordinating among them, as finalized by CSTE of zonal railway.
* To enable the Junior Scale officer to reach the site in case of emergencies within one hour, jurisdiction of junior scale officers should preferably be within 75 to 100 kms. for headquarter, with place of headquarter being chosen with criteria of least time to cover the jurisdiction and available town/cities in the jurisdiction.
* Jurisdiction of senior scale officers should preferably be within 300 kms. from headquarter, with place of headquarter being chosen with criteria of least time to cover the jurisdiction and available towns/cities in the jurisdiction.
* JA Grade and above officers are involved in technical, policy issues major co-ordination activities, planning, organizing and management of resources. Therefore, it would be desirable that JA Grade and Selection Grade officers are posted at divisional/sub-divisional control and headquarters nearest to the area of work.
* Normally Junior Scale will be posted outside division HQ (except the one in divisional headquarter and looking after local field assets) and senior Scale will be posted in division HQ.
* Junior Scale will be given more filed duties and their secondary duties like meetings, functions and other miscellaneous duties will be curtailed while Senior Scale will be given all other duties like planning.
* JA Grade (Coordination) will normally be exempted from accompanying HODs for inspections.
* The distribution of work for the posts for Junior Scale will be guided by following considerations:-
Signaling maintenance work including mandatory station/Level crossing gate inspections, foot plate inspections, attending to failures, test checking, ensuring safety of work sites, construction work liaisoning etc.
Maintenance of telecom assets directly involved in train operation like control communication, small exchanges, level crossings gate phones, emergency sockets etc.
Normally the Junior Scale officer will look after both the signaling and telecom work within a given geographical jurisdiction.
In case, some filed post manned by Senior Scale officer in place of Junior Scale i.e. if Senior Scale Officer is posted outside Divisional headquarter, his duties will be similar to Junior Scale Officer.
* The distribution of work for Senior Scale officer will be on technical basis like Signaling, Telecom or section head and will include:
* Planning for Maintenance, stores, indent of stocks, distribution of stores, selections, trade test, management of new assets like train indication Boards, PA System and other telecom assets associated with support activities like major telephone exchanges, networking data links for PRS, UTS, MIS, FOIS etc.
Design, drawing, checking of plans and other signaling design documents and management of signaling documents.
Handling of tenders and related activities.
Stores and inventory management.
Attending miscellaneous activities such as meeting of Housing committees, safety seminars, accompanying HODs of other departments etc.
* The distribution of work amongst the JA Grade will be based on work involving both signaling and telecommunication for getting the desired output from respective officers such as coordination, attending to DRM, GM, Protocol duties, meetings etc.