A copy of the Office Memorandum No. 12011/04/2008-Estt.[Allowance] dated 11.09.2008 of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions [Deptt. of Personnel & Training] conveying Government’s decisions on the recommendations of Sixth Central Pay Commission regarding grant of Special Allowance for child care for women with disabilities and Education Allowance at double the normal rate for disabled children of Government employees is enclosed. These instructions shall apply mutatis mutandis to Railway employees and shall be effective from 1st September, 2008.
2. The rest of the conditions will be the same as stipulated vide DOP&T’s O.M. No. 12011/03/2008 Estt.[Allowance] dated 2nd September, 2008 on the subject and circulated vide Railway Board’s letter No. E[W]2008/ED-2/4 dated 01.10.2008.
Copy of Office Memorandum No. 12011/04/2008-Estt.[Allowance] dated 11.09.2008 of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions [Deptt. of Personnel & Training]
Sub: Recommendations of Sixth Central Pay Commission- Implementation of decisions relating to Special Allowance for child care for women with disabilities and Education Allowance for disabled children of Govt. employees
Consequent upon the decision taken by the Government on the recommendations made by the Sixth Central Pay Commission for providing extra benefits to women employees with disabilities especially when they have young children and children with disability, the President is pleased to issue the following instructions:
[i] Women with disabilities shall be paid Rs.1000/- per month as Special Allowance for Child Care. The allowance shall be payable from the time of the child’s birth till the child is two years old.
[ii] It shall be payable for a maximum of two children.
[iii] Disability means a person having a minimum Disability of 40% as elaborated in Ministry of Welfare’s Notification No. 16-18/97-NI.I dated 01.06.2001 [Annexure]
[iv] The above limit would be automatically raised by 25% every time the Dearness Allowance on the revised pay structure goes up by 50%.
2. Reimbursement of Education Allowance for disabled children of Government employees shall be payable at double the normal rates prescribed. The annual ceiling fixed for reimbursement of Children Education Allowance for disabled children of Government Employees is Rs.24000. The rest of the conditions will be the same as stipulated vide OM No. 12011/03/2008-Estt.[Allowance] dated 2nd September, 2008 on the subject.
3. Disability means a person having a minimum Disability of 40% as elaborated in Ministry of Welfare’s Notification No. 16-18/97-NI.I dated 1.6.2001 [Annexure].
4. These orders shall be effective from 1st September, 2008.
5. Insofar as persons serving in the Indian Audit and Accounts Department are concerned, these orders issue in consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
Extracts of the Notification
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
New Delhi the 1st June 2001
Sub: Guidelines for evaluation of various disabilities and procedure for certification
No. 16-18/97-NI.I dated 1.6.2001. In order to review the guidelines for evaluation of various disabilities and procedure for certification as given in the Ministry of Welfare’s OM No. 4-2/83-HW.III dated the 6th August, 1986 and to recommend appropriate modifications /alterations keeping in view the Persons with Disabilities [Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation] Act, 1995, Government of India in Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, vide Order No. 16-18/97-NI.I, dated 28.08.98 set up four committees under the Chairmanship of Director General of Health Services – one each in the area of mental retardation, Locomotor / Orthopaedic disability, Visual disability and Speech & Hearing disability. Subsequently, another Committee was also constituted on 21.7.1999 for evaluation, assessment of multiple disabilities and categorization and extent of disability and procedure for certification.
2. After having considered the reports of these committees the undersigned is directed to convey the approval of the President to notify the guidelines for evaluation of following disabilities and procedure for certification.
Locomotor /Orthopaedic disability
Speech &hearing disability
Copy of Report is enclosed herewith as Annexure*
3. The minimum degree of disability should be 40% in order to be eligible for any concessions/benefits.
4. According to the Persons with Disabilities [Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation] Rules, 1996, notified by the Central Government in exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section  and  of section 73 of the Persons with Disabilities [Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation] Act, 1995 [1 of 1996], authorities to give disability Certificate will be a Medical Board duly constituted by the Central and the State Government. The State government may constitute a Medical Board consisting of at least three members out of which at least one shall be a specialist in the particular field for assessing locomotor /Visual including low vision / hearing and speech disability, mental retardation and leprosy cured, as the case may be.
5. Specified test as indicted in Annexure* should be conducted by the medical board and recorded before a certificate is given.
6. The certificate would be valid for a period of five years for those whose disability is temporary and are below the age 18 years. For those who acquire permanent disability, the validity can be shown as ‘Permanent’.
7. The State Govts. /UT Admn. may constitute the medical boards indicated in para 4 above immediately, if not done so far.
8. The Director General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare will be the final authority, should there arise any controversy / doubt regarding the interpretation of the definitions / classifications / evaluations tests etc.
Joint Secretary to the Government of India
* The Annexure mentioned above may please be seen from the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment notification.