A copy of Department of Pension & Pensioner’s Welfare [DOP&PW]’s OM No. 38/37/08-P&PW[A] dated 12th February, 2009 issued in continuation of the instructions contained in their earlier OM No. 38/37/08-P&PW[A] dated 1st September, 2008, adopted on the Railways vide letter of even number dated 08.09.2008, is enclosed for information and further necessary action.
Copy of Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare’s OM No. 38/37/08-P&PW[A] dated 12th February, 2009
Sub: Representation regarding payment of arrears on revision of pension
1. The undersigned is directed to say that in accordance with instructions contained in this Department’s OM of even number dated 1.9.2008, 40% of arrears of pension [up to August, 2008] were to be paid in the year 2008-09 and the remaining 60% in the year 2009-10.
2. A large number of representations / references are being received in this Department suggesting that the remaining 60% of the arrears of pension / family pension for the period from 1.1.2006 to 31.8.2008 may also be paid to the old pensioners / family pensioners who have attained the age of 80 years or above and to the family members of those pensioners / family pensioners who have since died.
3. These representations / references have been examined in consultation with Ministry of Finance. It has been decided that no change is required to be made in the instructions already issued and the payment of remaining 60% of arrears of pension / family pension for the period from 1.1.2006 to 31.8.2008 in respect of all pensioners / family pensioners who retired / died up to 31.8.2008 will be made in the year 2009-10 only.
4. All references / representations received in this Department on the above issues stand disposed off accordingly.