1. As per provisions contained in Rules 5 & 6 of the Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008, the railway employee had an option to elect to come over to the revised pay structure either from 01.01.2006 or from the date of his next increment or from the date of promotion, upgradation of pay scales. Such an option was to be exercised within 3 months from the date of publication of Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008. The rule also provides that the option once exercised shall be final.
2. This Ministry issued instructions vide letter of even No dated 23.03.2012 providing that those Railway employees who were due to get their annual increment between February, 2006 to June, 2006 may be granted one increment on 01.01:2006 in the pre-revised pay scale as a one time measure and, thereafter they will get the next increment in the Revised Pay structure on 01.7.2006 as per Rule 10 of the Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008.
3 In view of the benefit extended to the employees as per the aforesaid letter dated 23.03.2012 the issue relating to according of a fresh opportunity to the employees to re-exercise their option to come over to the revised pay scale as per Revised Pay Rules, 2008 was raised by the Staff Side of the Joint Consultative Machinery in the meeting of the National Anomaly Committee held on 17.7.2012.
4. The matter has been considered by the Government and having regard to the fact that the provisions of the aforesaid letter dated 23,03.2012 bring about a material change in the basis for exercise of option to come over to the revised pay structure in terms of the Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008 in respect of employees who are covered under the said letter dated 23.03.2012, the President is pleased to decide that all those employees who are covered under the provisions of aforesaid letter dated 23.03.2012 may once again be permitted to re-exercise their option to come over to the Revised Pay Structure.
5. The benefit under these orders for re-exercise of option shall be available for a period up to 31.03.2013. The revised option shall be intimated to the head of the office by the concerned employees in accordance with the provision of Rule 6(2) of Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008.
6. All the Zonal Railways/Production Units etc. are requested to bring the content of this letter to the notice of their employees so that such employees can avail themselves of the same within the stipulated time period.
7. This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways.