1. Attention is invited to Board’s letters No. E[P&A]II-83/HRA-29 dated 30.06.84, No. PC-V/98/I/7/5 dated 5.1.1999 and No. E[P&A]II-99/HRA-15 dated 17.11.1999 on the above subject. Railway employees posted to North Eastern Region, including Sikkim, Andaman & Nicobar Island and Lakshadweep Island, who leave their families behind at the old duty station, are allowed HRA of the station from which they were originally transferred in addition to the HRA admissible at the new place of posting.
2. Consequent upon revision of rates of House Rent Allowance w.e.f. 1.9.2008, notified vide Board’s letter No. E[P&A]II-2008/HRA-10 dated 12.09.2008, the following has been decided:
[a] In case of Railway employees transferred to and posted from a date prior to 1.1.2006 who leave their families behind at the old duty station, the HRA of the old duty station will be calculated w.e.f. 01.09.2008 on the pre-revised pay as on the date of transfer but the percentage rates of HRA effective from 01.09.2008 as per letter No. E[P&A]II-2008/HRA-10 dated 12.09.2008 will apply w.e.f. 01.09.2008.
[b] In case of Railway employees transferred to and posted from a date on or after 1.1.2006, the HRA of the old duty station w.e.f. 01.09.2008 will be calculated on the revised pay as on the date of transfer with the percentage rates effective from 01.09.2008 as per letter No. E[P&A]II-2008/HRA-10 dated 12.09.2008.
3. The above HRA at revised rates and on revised pay, as applicable, would be payable from 01.09.2008 in all cases.
4. These orders will be applicable to Railway employees posted to Ladakh on or after 01.09.2008.
5. These orders will not be applicable to such employees who were transferred out of North Eastern Region, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep Islands before 01.09.2008, irrespective of their date of posting to the Region /Island.
6. This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways.