1. In compliance with the judgement dated 22.11.2002 of Hon’ble High Court of Kerela in O.P.No.17380/2002 arising out of O.A.No.430/2000 in CAT/Ernakulam, sanction of the President is hereby accorded to the grant of fixed Medical Allowance at the rate of Rs.100/- per month to Railway pensioners/family pensioners residing beyond 2.5 KMs from a Railway hospital/health unit subject to furnishing of an undertaking as per the attached Proforma.
2. All the pension disbursing authorities are required to obtain the above undertaking of the concerned pensioner/family pensioner to the effect that he/she resides beyond 2.5 KMs from the nearest Railway hospital/health unit before payment of Medical Allowance is made. An entry to this effect should be made in both halves of their PPOs.
3. Other terms and conditions for grant of Medical Allowance as specified in Board’s letter of even number dated 21.4.99 will remain in force.
4. This issues with the concurrence of Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways.
5. These instructions are subject to the final outcome of the SLP (C ) No.21320/2003 pending in the Hon’ble Supreme Court.