Family pension to childless widow of a deceased Central Government employee after her remarriage
A copy of Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare (DOP&PW)’s O.M. No. 1/4/2011-P&PW(E) dated 1st April, 2011 on the above subject is enclosed for information and compliance. These instructions shall apply mutatis mutandis on the Railways also. DOP&PW’s O.M. dated 2.9.2008, referred to in the enclosed O.M., was adopted on the Railways vide this office letter of even number dated 15.9.2008.
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
New Delhi, the 1st April, 2011
Sub:- Grant of family pension to childless widow of a deceased Central Government employee after her remarriage-Clarification-reg.
A reference is invited to the Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare’s O.M. No. 38/37/08-P&PW (A) dt. 2.9.2008 whereby provisions regulating pension/family pension/gratuity/commutation of pension/disability pension/ex-gratia lumpsum compensation, etc. were revised consequent upon implementation of Government’s decision on the recommendations of 6th CPC.
2. As pr the provisions of para 8.6 of the ibid O.M., the childless widow of a deceased Government employee shall continue to be paid family pension even after her remarriage subject to the condition that the family pension shall cease once her independent income from all other sources becomes equal to or higher than the minimum prescribed for family pension in the Central Government.
3. References/Representations have been received in this Department from various quarters raising therein doubts that the provisions of this Department’s O.M. dt. 2.9.2008 do not adequately take care of cases wherein death of the employee took place prior to 1.1.2006 and the childless widow of the deceased employee got remarried before/on or after 1.1.2006.
4. The issue has been examined in this Department in consultation with Department of Expenditure. It is hereby clarified that the childless widow of a deceased Central Government employee who had expired before 1.1.2006, shall be eligible for family pension in the light of 6th CPC’s recommendations irrespective of the fact that the remarriage of the widow had taken place prior to/on or after 1.1.2006. The financial benefits in such cases, however, will accrue from 1.1.2006. This however, would be subject to the fulfillment of certain conditions laid down therein, including the income criterion that the income of the widow from all sources does not become equal to or higher than the minimum prescribed for family pension in the Central Government.
5. This issues with the concurrence of Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance vide their U.O. No. 64/EV/2011 dt. 11.3.2011.
6. This order, in so far as their applicability relates to the employees of Indian Audit & Accounts Department, is being issued in consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor General of India vide their U.O.No. 50-Audit(Rules/14-2010 dt. 31.03.2011) .