- The Nilgiri Mountain Railway (NMR) connects Mettupalayam with the hill station of Udagamandalam (Ootacamund or Ooty) in Tamil Nadu.
- It uses rack and pinion system to climb the steep gradient(1 in 12 steepest in India), the only railway line in India to use this system.
- NMR was opened in 1908 and was operated by the former Madras Railway Company.
- In 2005,UNESCO added the Nilgiri Mountain Railway to the World Heritage Site.
- Holiday Homes have been set up in hill stations, sea-side resorts or other pleasant surroundings as a measure of staff amenity.
- Staff who are allotted accommodation in Holiday Homes should not be refused leave except in very emergent case.
- Where lower type of accommodation has been closed down or not available, Group 'D' staff may be allotted higher type of accommodation on payment of charges for the lower type.